Author Topic: Flight Testing new PilotAware installation  (Read 2534 times)

Young_C

Flight Testing new PilotAware installation
« on: June 22, 2020, 09:45:18 pm »
Hi All,
We have recently completed a permanent installation of a Rosetta unit in our RV-7.

I've been looked for methods / procedures for testing its performance in flight but couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Due to the lack of traffic at the moment, I was wondering whether I could somehow measure range of the 869.5 signals to / from ground stations to check the antenna effectiveness.

Thanks,
Chris.

Admin

Re: Flight Testing new PilotAware installation
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 10:10:07 pm »
Whereabouts do you fly from ?
We can tell you how well you are seen from the atom/grid network
Just n ed to know when you fly, and the ID programmed to your PilotAware
Thx
Lee

Young_C

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 06:55:54 am »
Hi,
Thanks for you help, that would be great.
I fly from Bidford. The Hex ID is 406792 and callsign is G-RVAH.
I'm planning to do the test flight tomorrow (Wed 24/6) in the morning and will be heading East to Peterborough Sibson airfield.
Best Regards,
Chris.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 09:05:55 am »
Hi Chris,

The data Lee can capture from the Atom /Grid Network is of course the ultimate, but for everyday flight checking, you can download the flight data from the ‘Tracks’ tab on your PilotAware after your flight and can then replay it at your leisure on Aircrew’s Playback site... https://Aircrew.co.uk/playback

Regards

Peter

Young_C

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 03:43:32 pm »
Hi Admin,
I made the flight this morning, took off from Bidford at 10:09 and landed at Sibson 10:43. Please could you let me know which ground stations picked me up. I got about half a dozen traffic alerts during the flight and it was a great help with spotting the aircraft to know which area to look!

I forgot to download my track after the flight. Will it still be saved on the Rosetta unit even after power down? I can then use the Aircrew tool to analyse too.

Thanks,
Chris.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 04:39:47 pm »
Hi Chris
Bad news I'm afraid - you have an almost perfect installation, everyone will know where you are  ;D

I will post more details later, but in short

you were tracked leaving Bidford to Sibson (I think), and back again leaving just before midday
you were lost descending into Sibson just North of Warmington, but I am guessing this was for Sibson
We could really benefit from an ATOM at Sibson!!

quality of your installation is very good.

For PilotAware, at times you were detected by 8 ATOMS simultaneously, typically 3-4.
For ADS-B, at times you were detected by 5 ATOMS simultaneously, typically 3-4.

Thx
Lee

Young_C

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 05:53:01 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
Great news, many thanks Lee for checking this!

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 12:23:50 am »
Hi Chris,

In answer to your question about your track files - yes, they are retained in your Rosetta until the memory card gets full (which is a lot of tracks) then they get sequentially overwritten. So they will still be there to download - onto a memory stick, or directly onto your tablet or phone - from where you can email them on to yourself or whatever. See pages 19/20 of the PilotAware Operating Instructions here...

https://pilotaware.com/Documents/Operating%20Instructions%2020190621.pdf?_t=1561197960

Regards

Peter

rogerabc

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 08:53:25 pm »
Dear Lee,

Please would you check the atom grid performance for these two aircraft, 403E8F, 40760F

Flying from Gloucester to Partridge Green, 1 Aug 5:30pm  , 8 Aug 7pm

I suspect antennas are not optimised.

I have also send a PM to Keith with the aircrew traces.

Thank you for any feedback & best wishes - really want to improve my EC system.

Roger

Keithvinning

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 06:42:56 pm »
PM Returned

REgards

Keith