Author Topic: ATOM Ground Station  (Read 1534 times)

peastlake

ATOM Ground Station
« on: June 22, 2020, 08:16:03 pm »
We have one of these units installed at Hunsdon. Great idea. Quick query - on average, how much data gets sent to & from the servers in, say, a month, given the unit is permanently on? We’re connected to the internet by a 4G WiFi dongle, which also has to handle our security systems, and I want to make sure our deal with the mobile network provider includes a sufficient data allowance.

AlanG

Re: ATOM Ground Station
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 08:41:34 pm »
Hi

If you go to the home screen and input "data usage" into the search box you get a list of threads.
The top 3 or 4 relate to this subject but as far as I can tell nobody has yet come up with a definitive answer.  I can only think that it is going to be largely dependant on where you are and how much data is required to be processed. 

someone may have done some more recent testing of this and may be able to come back to you with more up to date info.

Regards
Alan

Admin

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 09:28:18 pm »
My advice if concerned, get an unlimited data package, I think Vodafone now do this £20/month

steveu

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 10:24:57 pm »
GiffGaff do a 15GB one for £15.

Worth doing a site survey, the last 4G router I put in we went with GiffGaff as O2 was the fastest network, better than Three, but in a lot of other places you'll find Voda or EE best, but always worth checking.

I did some surveys using https://www.cellmapper.net/map but not sure how up to date the data is. Allows you to survey mobile coverage.