Author Topic: Pilotaware firmware updater  (Read 2800 times)

GeoffreyC

Pilotaware firmware updater
« on: June 19, 2020, 02:02:02 pm »
Great to see the PAW firmware updater on the UK Apple App store last night,  shout out to Neil Hathaway for his great work in developing it.

Should make it a lot easier for novice PAW users to upgrade the firmware in their PAW's,  am looking forward to new PAW features to try it out for real.

Geoffrey

AlanG

Re: Pilotaware firmware updater
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 03:32:30 pm »
Grrrrrr   >:(

Wot No Android App

PaulSS

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 04:46:26 pm »
Wot's Android  ;D ;D

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 04:57:31 pm »
What Eve got Adam after they’d thrown away the Apple... ?  ;D  ;D

Admin

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 04:58:20 pm »
We simply need to convince Neil to port to Android  ;)

Thx
Lee

Deker

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 06:51:23 pm »
What do we want
...................Anroid!
..........................When do we want it.
...............................NOW!

;-)

PushBack

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 08:14:50 pm »
Im on it will get an android version out as soon as I can

mariko

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 07:45:59 pm »
Also, please consider the owners of Iphone 6 or less, that cannot install IOS 13  :-[
Ciao
  Mariko

steveu

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 08:56:56 pm »
At the risk of being unpopular, don't we think that a very small company doing very well to produce a pretty amazing product is possibly being judged a little harshly?

A country can't make an essential app work after how many weeks but one guy on his own is expected to work to a tighter timescale?

How do you get an app past Apple that is for older devices? Apple make your device redundant/obsolete so you have to buy a new one. That's between you and Apple... Intel processors on Apple computers headed to obscurity so ARM will be the new way and another load of stuff headed for the scrap heap, Boot Camp or Linux...

You can always buy a pre-loaded SD card from PilotAware.

Personally I've found the destructions for the installs or updates easy.

mariko

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 10:55:42 am »
Steveu what is your problem with me?
I just asked to be considered, as Android users that don't own a brand new iphone did. Was not mi right? Why, please?
Ciao
  Mariko

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 11:26:36 am »
Whoa! Nobody has a problem with anyone!!!
Words on a Forum can be and often are misunderstood in inference.
The comment made by Steve was pertinent and if you had been face to face this all would have worked out.
The PAW Organistaion is small and doesn't have huge resources to meet all User demands straightaway.
Older iPhone may have to stay using the older software or maybe it will work using methodology already in place.
Android Users will be OK once the latest system is ported.
Its the way of the IT World. How do I know. I've had 50 bloody years of it!!!
Kind Regards
Gerry

G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

Admin

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 01:55:56 pm »
If I recall correctly I had conversations with Neil, and Apple are being intransigent as far as back porting is concerned.
I don't recall the exact details, but I think it is fair to say they have made it impossible to be able to back port to earlier versions of iOS. something I find very strange.
So unless Apple have a change of heart, there is no possibility of porting to an earlier (than 13) version  of iOS  :(

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 02:38:53 pm »
@ mariko,

I’m pretty sure Steve wasn’t getting at you personally - IMHO he was being supportive of the PilotAware Team (of which AlanG and I are part) and in particular expressing his gratitude to Neil - the author of the App for all his hard work. Alan’s earlier comments were in fact not intended as a ‘criticism’ but as a light hearted expression of frustration and a ‘prompt’ to (please) elicit an android alternative as soon as practicable.

As a user of both Apple and Android devices myself, I had already expressed my disappointment that the App will only run on iOS 13 privately to Lee and Neil before its official release (I was invited to pre-test it, but my mini iPads (2) won’t go past iOS 12 and my phone is an older android) so I guess my frustration is 2-fold (or should that be 3-fold)  :(

To clarify my position, let me formally add my thanks to Neil for all his hard work. Even though I can’t (yet) use the App myself, I know it will be of considerable benefit to those who can and - as per Steve’s post - the previous control and update options will all remain available.

Looking forward to more future improvements in PilotAware and hopefully a continuing harmonious Forum.

Best Regards All

Peter

AlanG

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 03:01:13 pm »
Ooops!!

I didn't mean to turn this into a mini version of the Flyer Forum, my post above was, as Peter has just said, very tongue in cheek.  It was a wind-up for Lee but it appears I've wound up everyone except Lee, sorry folks.  >:(
I'm not even that fussy for an "app" as my personnel setup is very well suited to the memory stick update system, as I simply pop the extension cable off my GPS, plug in the memory stick and hey ho off we go.  Simples. ;D

As has been said above nobody else can be held accountable for the commercial decisions of Apple not to support backwards compatibility of "apps" in order to sell more devices.

I can only add my voice to support the great work being done by Lee on this excellent product.

Alan