Author Topic: Pilot Aware Classic - True DIY Upgrade (NOT the PAW Official One)  (Read 5648 times)

exfirepro

Re: Pilot Aware Classic - True DIY Upgrade (NOT the PAW Official One)
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2020, 08:37:48 am »
Hi Kev,

I normally fit the sprung locking washer on the inside. There is normally a slight gap between the board and the case and the washer acts as a spacer so that tightening the nut (it doesn’t need to be overnight) doesn’t put undue pressure on the board.

Oh... and no - swapping to a Pi3 doesn’t alter the position of the Bridge or antenna. (Forgot to say that in my last post)

Regards

Peter

kevkdg

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2020, 09:43:43 am »
Thanks Peter.  Regarding the washer, are you talking about the pig tail extension for 1090 or adding a washer and bolt to the antenna connector that extends from the paw bridge.  Didn't have one in classic case.  But I have spare washers and nuts.

On my pig tails there a normal washer and a spring washer.  I  assume you have sprung washer on inside and normal on the outside followed by the nut.  There does appear to be a cut out on the inside of the case to support the fixed nut on the pig tail to stop it turning as you tighten the external nut up, so not sure the sprung washer would work on the inside.

I notice fro this thread:

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1109.15.html

That as per the photos, the chap has mounted the 1090 SMA connector through the knockout hole in the top of the case which is almost level with the PAW Bridge.  I have punched through the one below (underneath the Pi).  Hopefully that's the right one.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 11:37:52 am by kevkdg »

exfirepro

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2020, 09:46:00 am »
Hi again Kev,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you - I got sidetracked. Re your last post(s)...

‘star’ ‘shaker washer’ - it depends what you are fitting it to. They are designed to stop the socket shaft turning as you tighten the nut and potentially twisting the cable, so on a flat panel it could go inside or outside. With the Stratux/Rosetta cases there are  - as you say - plastic hex mouldings on the inside to hold the socket in place, so you can either fit the shaker on the outside, then the plain washer/nut or simply discard the shaker. I have in the past used a shaker (or plain washer(s)) as a ‘packer’ between the Bridge and case to prevent overtightening of the nut twisting the Bridge and putting a strain on the GPIO pins. That’s what I was referring to above, but that’s probably overkill on my part.

Yes, you can remove the case on the SDR - always worthwhile to maximise cooling when it’s inside an outer case, - just be careful not to short anything out if poking about inside later with anything metal.

If you look closely at the photos in the thread you have linked to, you will see (from the end-on pic) that Mike has actually fitted his 1090 antenna to a hole above his ‘Classic’ Bridge. The ‘Rosetta’ Bridge was actually redesigned with a cutout to allow the 1090 antenna socket to be fitted ‘in line’ with the Bridge (I’ll post a pic later for you) - but these are not available to purchase separately.

Hope this helps clarify these issues.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:51:43 am by exfirepro »

kevkdg

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2020, 03:51:07 pm »
Thanks Peter,

All up and running.

Got confused with the washer types, so on the 1090 antenna, I have no washers inside the case, on the outside of the case I have the star washer with "teeth" pointing outwards away from the case, then the spring washer then the nut.... probably very much overkill and only need the nut in reality.

For the P3i antenna, I have simply hand tightened the nut on the outside of the case to offer a little support.  I didn't dare tighten it with a spanner for fear of twisting the bridge or pulling it towards the case.

I went with your recommendation, and the 1090 antenna is mounted on the lower pre-drilled hold below the Raspberry Pi board rather than as Mike did and use the top hole above the PAW bridge as that looked a little tight to the PAW bridge.

Incidentally, can the Classic PAW bridges be purchased as I was hoping to make up another one.

Cheers

Kevin

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 04:34:32 pm by kevkdg »

kevkdg

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2020, 04:01:12 pm »
Couple more images, second one down shows I used the star and spring washer on the 1090 mount... since learnt that's probably not required..
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 05:22:21 pm by kevkdg »

kevkdg

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2020, 04:16:01 pm »
Having used the bottom hole beneath the Pi board for the 1090 gives the option of orientating the antennas as per the last photo in this post, which would not be possible if using the hole above the PAW Bridge.  Although they might be too close together this way, I've not tried it... but they are fairly close any which way round you have them.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 04:37:43 pm by kevkdg »

kevkdg

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2020, 05:08:59 pm »
If it helps others, I used the old Pilot Aware Classic Case end plastic piece to orientate against the new Stratux V2 case (with white masking tape stuck on it) in order to mark the position of the hole to be drilled for the Pi3 Antenna.  I used a 7mm HSS Drill Bit - started off with smaller bit for pilot hole and worked my way up the sizes to 7mm.

The slot for the SD card on the old classic case and the new Stratus v2 case were slightly offset from each other (as noticeable in the photo).  This is just how it was after spending some time orientating it with the Pi and PAW bridge in situ in the new v2 case (with cover off) and then sliding the old classic case end piece over the Pi3 antenna mount.  So it's where it should be :-)… at least on mine anyway.

Unlike Mikes Stratux V2 mod posted here:

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1109.15.html

I did not have to file any case locating lugs, I don't have FLARM, and I didn't bother drilling holes to view the PAW Bridge lights.  If needed I can see them by looking into the side air vents.

As a final note, I removed BOTH fans from the Stratux v2 case as from reading what others have said they don't have too much if any impact.  I figured rather than leaving the fans in situ albeit disconnected I would remove them to allow more space for air flow.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 05:20:14 pm by kevkdg »

exfirepro

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2020, 07:19:52 pm »
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for posting the photos. You’ve done a very tidy job and it should work well.

PilotAware used to sell Classic Bridges with a 1st year licence to allow early home builders to convert their ‘pre-Classic’ home builds to the full ‘Classic’ spec, but that was an early adopter deal which stopped with the introduction of Rosetta two years later.

If you are thinking about a second unit you can of course buy a Rosetta, but be quick as the price is due to increase significantly from the end of the month.

Best Regards

Peter

kevkdg

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2020, 03:44:57 pm »
Thinking of buying the Rosetta GPS dongle for use in my DIY upgrade.  Any ideas if this is a better choice over the Classic GPS dongle?

Admin

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2020, 04:55:58 pm »
it uses a higher gain ceramic antenna.
so will perform better when in poor conditions (as compared to smaller antenna)

Thx
Lee

kevkdg

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2020, 05:10:51 pm »
New Rosetta GPS dongle as ordered from pilotaware shop arrived today.  Trying it in my conservatory already noticed much improvement.  Cheers