Author Topic: RPi Hardware  (Read 4266 times)

colinmackenzie

RPi Hardware
« on: October 24, 2015, 03:37:29 pm »
Hi All,

First off, many thanks to Lee and others who have made this great project happen.

I was wondering if the latest board 'Raspberry Pi 2 Model B' could be used for the project or is 'Raspberry Pi B+' mandatory?

Many thanks for any feedback.

Cheers,
Colin

Admin

Re: RPi Hardware
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 03:40:23 pm »
Hi Colin

PiB+ for now, drivers need porting for pi2

Thx
Lee

barrieslinger

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 04:13:02 pm »
As a newbie buying hardware and finding only Pi 2 at Farnell I bought one believing the backwards compatibility.
I must clearly now buy a B+ to get on with the project.
 Can I assume that the Pi 2 is worth keeping and that Pi 2 will eventually be used on the project  as it it becomes the market norm?

Or should I send it back?

Thank you for any help.

Fallen at the first hurdle.

Barrie

Admin

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 05:18:32 pm »
As a newbie buying hardware and finding only Pi 2 at Farnell I bought one believing the backwards compatibility.
I must clearly now buy a B+ to get on with the project.
 Can I assume that the Pi 2 is worth keeping and that Pi 2 will eventually be used on the project  as it it becomes the market norm?

Or should I send it back?

Thank you for any help.

Fallen at the first hurdle.

Barrie

Sorry to hear that.
I cannot say when everything will be ported to the Pi 2, I recall the issue was some missing drivers in the OS
I suggest returning the Pi 2

dussel

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 09:50:58 pm »
some missing drivers
what exact drivers are missing?

1090 drivers are there http://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/raspberrypi2/blog/2015/05/04/raspberry-pi-2-adsb-radar
wifi dongle, - should be there too.

I have good experience in RPI2 and RPI. And I am willing to help with pushing this to RPI2
Lee, what I did, - I simply installed PAW into RPI1 (256MB), then removed card and have put into RPI2, - it boots up to error message related to: ARM6 - ARM7.

Is it possible to get ISO with disabled\commented or as warning ?
Let me know your thoughts.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:02:00 pm »
Hi Dussell

The issue is the RT5370 configured as a SoftAP, as can be seen by the comments in the thread, hostapd suffers from intermittent segmentation faults.
The intermittant nature of this makes it unusable.

There may be later versions of raspbian (ie Jessie), which have addressed this, but this is not a priority right now.

If you are interested in trying to solve this, I would be happy to have an experiment in which you can build an OS to run on PiB+ And Pi2, to configure an RT5370 as a hotspot/softap, preferebly on wheezy, but if not jessie would be acceptable.

Fancy a challenge ?

Thx
Lee

dussel

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 11:32:53 pm »
agreed :), I will look what I can do.

dussel

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 11:26:32 pm »
PI2 fix is found, - I have device running for 2 weeks with no issues on PI2
Waiting on Lee to get in touch with me.