Author Topic: Group id and flight ID in P3I  (Read 1751 times)

Wadoadi

Group id and flight ID in P3I
« on: June 07, 2020, 04:12:18 pm »
Hi,
    I was just wondering what I'm missing! ? with both Group ID and Flight ID not being transmitted according to the P3I spec i was wondering what the point of these are and also how the function of group ID as described is achieved give they are not transmitted?

Have I missed where in the protocol they are added or something else?

Group ID
Associate   yourself   with   a   group   of   aircraft   on   a   fly   out   or   a   club   event   by   associating   
yourself   with   a   Group   ID.   All   aircraft   in   the   same   group   as   you   will   be   bracketed   with   the   ‘#’   
character,   so   will   appear   as   #Group-ID#.   This   is   set   to   PAW-Group   by   default   so   you   can   
determine   PAW   traffic   from   ADSB   in   the   first   instant.   It   is   fully   acceptable   to   leave   this   
blank.   

Flight ID
Normally your Reg

P3I spec
http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Protocol.pdf

JCurtis

Re: Group id and flight ID in P3I
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 06:28:14 pm »
Pretty sure that document is somewhat incomplete, could do with a little TLC.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Wadoadi

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 09:09:05 pm »
I guess that could explain it! It would be good, if it remains an open standard, to see an updated spec...

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 10:44:19 pm »
Hi Ade,

I guess things have moved on a bit since the original protocol was published.

PAW has always used your ‘ownship’ Hex ID as part of its filtering system to prevent ‘Ownship alerts’, though since the incorporation of ‘Mode C’ detection, the procedure for identifying and filtering ‘ownship’ has become significantly more complex.

Your Hex ID is also transmitted as part of the P3i signal and is used at the other end to determine and display individual aircraft Registrations from an installed database.

In addition Group ID is also transmitted to all other PAW Users. If the received Group ID is the same as your own, the other aircraft Reg ID will be bracketed with # symbols - e.g. if both aircraft are using the default ‘PAWGRP’, a received aircraft, let’s say G-ABCD would show on your screen as #G-ABCD#.

If travelling as a group, in my case for example of ‘East Fortune’ based aircraft, we can ensure that aircraft in our group can be quickly and easily identified from the general melee by all setting the same (preferably unique) Group Identifier (in our case ‘EOSM’). My Aircraft then shows to all other aircraft in the same group as #G-TPAL# - simple and effective.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Peter