Author Topic: RF Test in West London  (Read 4448 times)

the_top_pilot

RF Test in West London
« on: October 24, 2015, 11:53:00 am »
I have today concluded a comprehensive test in West London heavily built up area.

With 2 Units of identical build quality and design and equipment running the latest software I received 1/2 mile range exactly the same on both units. Apart from the first 2 hundred yards there was NO line of sight between the 2 units.

Very impressed

Steve

Admin

Re: RF Test in West London
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 12:36:33 pm »
1/2 mile in a built up area is pretty amazing. RadioWaves at these frequencies are very poor at penetrating anything really.
Thx
Lee

the_top_pilot

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 12:42:06 pm »
Seriously it was a controlled test I was well impressed.
One of my units was used to Track Richard around Sywell on Tuesday where I received him at 8Nm.

Steve

bnmont

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 01:48:35 pm »
I'm also doing a little testing today now both my units are seeing each other!
Compared to top_pilots tests mine are pretty poor.
2 units identical build original ARF antennas JC board with ARF soldered on sma connector.
House unit powered by Samsung 2A phone charger showing 5.1V at ARF terminals, walk about unit powered by Anker13000mAh battery pack 2A outlet showing 4.86V at ARF terminals.
One unit inside house by a ground floor window, went for a walk 2nd unit couldnt see home unit at 100m! std antennas fitted.
Swapped antennas for some homemade 1/2 wave diploes for the second test.
Antenna inside house in same position as first test, went for a walk good reception until 450m away.
If i held the antenna directly infront of my body signal would drop out at this distance but would reconnect.

So results very poor compared to top_pilots :(
I had line of sight at all times but a large tree, hedge and horsebox may have been shielding a bit.
Further test later.

Raised external antenna and moved slightly now 15' above ground level, can now get a connection at approx 600m on the ground with the 1/2 wave antennas.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:16:19 pm by bnmont »

the_top_pilot

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 03:11:43 pm »
I was impressed that both units reacted the same. I was in two way communication with my daughter who was monitoring the home unit, at the same time almost exactly I stopped receiving the home unit the home unit stopped me (within a few foot steps).

Steve

Richard W

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 07:49:18 pm »
Steve, it seems to me that you have an unusually sensitive receiver.  Perhaps someone will shoot me down, but I am wondering if the ARF RX is being swamped by noise from the Pi system, in some builds.  I know you have your ARF at 90 degrees to the normal arrangement, and largely over a quiet looking area of the Pi board.  My RX is very poor in practice, unable to pick up any p3i traffic except at very close range, despite returning -27 with the master/slave test (at about 6 foot).  I plan more testing, including relocating the ARF when time permits.

the_top_pilot

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 11:41:56 pm »
Interesting thought.

I may screen my ARF and see if I can improve mine further.
I have a bench mark of performance now.

Steve