Author Topic: Traffic icons incorrectly pointing opposite direction on Sky Demon  (Read 1820 times)

Gary Nelson

I have seen various references to this issue on the forum but couldn't see anything definitive about resolving. Myself and another friend flew south down to Sandown yesterday. We both have pilot aware and transponders. I have a Funke with version 5.3 software. Although we were flying in loose formation in the same direction, the plane icon showing me (G-NILT) just to left of him on his skydemon was pointing north not south (see snapshot below). Any idea if this can be resolved as obviously could be dangerous?

Admin

Re: Traffic icons incorrectly pointing opposite direction on Sky Demon
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 10:18:49 pm »
Funke bug, I think its fixed in newer firmware, 300 euros!
Thx
Lee

steveu

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 11:38:20 pm »
Funke bug, I think its fixed in newer firmware, 300 euros!

Is it worth having a thread called "Known bugs with Funke transponders"?

This might provide and incentive... ;D

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 09:22:28 am »
Is it worth having a thread called "Known bugs with Funke transponders"?

This might provide and incentive... ;D

But only if Funke could be bothered to read our Forums and take any notice of what’s being said - which, in view of their apparent reticence to provide an appropriate upgrade service to their customers other than at significant expense, seems very unlikely.  :(

This is definitively a Funke issue not a PilotAware or SkyDemon one - (It doesn’t only happen with PilotAware or SD) - so IMHO it needs to be taken up directly with Funke by their customers - or perhaps their customers need to initiate some publicity as to the problem via the Flying Press (by way of informing the general flying community of the danger). Perhaps Funke might then take notice of what would in effect be ‘negative publicity’ in terms of their product and their poor customer support.

Thankfully I decided to support my local UK based avionics company when I installed my transponder (way back in 2015) and they (Trig) continue to provide excellent customer service and free firmware upgrades.

Regards

Peter

Gary Nelson

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 10:56:13 am »
I have a helpful contact at Funke in Germany. I just phoned him. He explained transponder technology has moved forwards and newer units also give data on speed and heading, not just position. However he also said my 2014 transponder (Funke TRT800H-OLED) with software version 5.3 should be doing this already. Anyway, he requested I email him the sky demon snapshot showing my plane flying backwards, which I have done.

I will keep you updated.

Gary Nelson

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 10:24:43 am »
My contact at Funke Germany (Michael Frost) called me back same day yesterday. My Funke transponder is from 2014. From 2015 they slightly changed the hardware but still called the software version 5.3 (which software I have). Only their transponders from 2015 transmit heading and speed as well. Michael says there are thousands of Funke transponders that are like mine and so the company is working hard to provide a solution and in fact are now already in beta testing stage of new software that will upgrade some earlier transponders. He told me to call back in about 8 weeks and he expects to be able to advise when I can do the mod. He thought it may (but not sure yet) also require a minor physical mod. Either way, for certification purposes, it will have to go back to Germany, and is expected to cost circa 200 euros!

Michael also mentioned the following - and please don't shoot the messenger  ???

1.             Although the data does indeed come from the transponder, he commented that why could not the receiving device be programmed to
                calculate direction from the track it plots?

2.             He also stated Funke are innovative and as technology improves so they work hard to keep up to date and it would not be fair to expect
                Funke to have to foot the bill every time technology moves on. Even though I know Trig offer free upgrades, I suppose he may have at
                least some point, however unpalatable for myself and other Funke users!

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 10:44:55 am »
Hi Gary,

Many thanks for the quick update and the information on Funke's progress on their upgrades.

In Trig's case, fortunately, the older hardware is capable of running ADSB-Out (technically Mode-S ES 'Extended Squitter' of course) without hardware modification, so upgrades are limited to a firmware update, which they provide free of charge (except perhaps for postage - I took mine down and waited as they are only a few miles from me, so can't say definitively on the postage).

I can certainly understand Funke needing to charge something for hardware upgrades and re-certification and even for firmware, where they have incurred significant costs, but AIUI the issue is that they sold the their earlier units as 'ADSB capable' but didn't say - 'at a (not insignificant) cost', which has obviously upset a lot of their customers.

For my part, the sooner they can resolve these issues - preferably at minimal cost to their customers - the better.

Best Regards

Peter