Author Topic: The Graffiti Conspicuity Device  (Read 3604 times)

tnowak

The Graffiti Conspicuity Device
« on: May 19, 2020, 05:21:16 pm »
Okay, what does the Graffiti do? Or is it still under wraps??
Is it a different version of Rosetta but smaller, lighter, uses less power battery etc.?

Tony

Keithvinning

Re: The Graffiti Conspicuity Device
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 09:23:26 pm »
Yes all of those things
All will be revealed soon
In a Cessna at 3000ft it was detected at 99 Kms

Keith

neilld

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 04:22:52 pm »
What's the status of this.  It's now >2 months since it was "announced"

ls8pilot

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 09:37:40 am »
Yes, how about some idea of what this is about?  I seem to recall was some criticism of uAvionix a few years ago for announcing stuff with no details and no availability....  pots/kettles/black ?

neilld

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 11:41:57 am »
It's now 3 months since this product was anounced.  I assume that the validation/manufacturing setup processes are taking longer than planned, however, the lack of any news is providing an open goal for the not insignificant band of PAW knockers out there. 
What about an update?

PaulSS

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 12:07:21 pm »
For what it's worth, I have seen it so it is not a figment of someone's imagination. I don't know the full details of it (and obviously wouldn't release them even if I did, as that is the remit of the Keith and Co who are making the thing). I don't think I will upset anyone at PAW by saying that it is undergoing testing and is giving good results.

This is not an attempt to add mystery or incite guesses, merely an attempt to say it is real and no doubt the PAW Team will announce more when they've done whatever it is they need to do.

mariko

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 12:22:53 pm »
It's now 3 months since this product was anounced.  I assume that the validation/manufacturing setup processes are taking longer than planned, however, the lack of any news is providing an open goal for the not insignificant band of PAW knockers out there. 
What about an update?
Do not forget that we have been grounded by the Covid emergency. Development and testing are obviously delayed
Ciao
  Mariko

neilmurg

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 11:36:43 pm »
I've only recently learned of this device. It sounds intriguing, well done the Pilotaware team, I'll wait patiently to see more, it's not in my area but all part of the wider EC requirement, good luck!

Keithvinning

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 07:21:44 pm »
Graffiti lives and is being tested by several professional drone users including British Aerospace, UCLAN, and others with specific USP requirements that remain confidential. Think Future Flight!

Graffiti is the internal project name and the drone variant is basically a very small (32 grams) unit that is located on the drone and transmits and receives on 869.5MHz so is both a beacon and is also fed with data from the ATOM GRID Ground stations. When flown in a light aircraft (drones are not permitted to fly high unless in an approved NOTAM'd or danger zone) it has been picked up at 99Kms by the ATOM GRID network just like other PilotAware devices.

This allows drones and their operators to have extensive situational awareness when flying drones professionally both directly and BVLOS in approved trials. The ATOM GRID  provides situational information on all EC technologies (FLARM, ADSB, Mode-S/3D) which other single frequency devices just cannot do. This is imperative if the burden of responsibility is on the drone to avoid other airspace users.

The Graffiti project is also spawning other very exciting opportunities when used in concert with the ATOM GRID and its extension!

Rosetta will remain the mainstream product for GA use and feature enhancement such as METARS and AFIS.

Regards

Keith

neilld

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 08:42:16 pm »
Thanks for update.  Any comment on timing / rollout?

DFN

Keithvinning

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 10:14:35 pm »
The Graffiti for drones is available now as a dev board for drone applications. If you have one drop me a PM

Regards

Keith

tnowak

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 08:18:13 am »
Keith,

I am already ADS-B Out equipped but want to be able to receive ADS-B (and other EC formats (FLARM etc.)).
Is it likely that Graffiti will (eventually) be offered as a small lightweight/low power consumption device for GA that requires an EC receive capability?

Regards

Tony

steveu

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 11:46:24 am »

Is it likely that Graffiti will (eventually) be offered as a small lightweight/low power consumption device for GA that requires an EC receive capability?

Sideline question, is likely that the CAA would mandate an uncertified solution?

Keithvinning

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 03:46:00 pm »
Keith,

I am already ADS-B Out equipped but want to be able to receive ADS-B (and other EC formats (FLARM etc.)).

Regards

Tony

It might be but other uses in the pipeline before that. Why not use a Rosetta?