Author Topic: Dead PAW, Pi advice  (Read 1881 times)

GeoffreyC

Dead PAW, Pi advice
« on: May 16, 2020, 09:54:02 pm »
A couple of times I found that my PAW wouldn’t boot up when I went flying.  Unplugging and plugging it in it then worked one occasion but next time I tried this trick it didn’t.

Brought the PAW and all it’s leads home with the intent of sorting it out during lockdown, but of course didn’t !

Now we’re flying again there’s the impetus to sort it out.   Plugged it into the tv and no matter what power lead I use it doesn’t do anything at all.  No lights, nothing.  Power lead works on other things so my conclusion is that the Pi has died.

Checking prior messages it seems that both the 3b+ and the 3b are supported now.  I have a PAW classic so should I just get the 3b+ as the newest, or I think someone said that they draw more power?
Price the same from Farnell https://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi3-modbp/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/dp/SC14882

And then I’ll need a new licence key from Lee

Thanks

PaulSS

Re: Dead PAW, Pi advice
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 07:58:30 am »
I replaced my Pi 2 with a 3b+ as I wanted to take advantage of the built in WIFI and Bluetooth of the newer model. Even if you don't use the BT it frees up a USB slot and one less chance of a dongle falling out of the slot. The 3b+ is, of course, faster and has more capability than the 2. Whether that helps the PAW functions I have no idea but I know it doesn't hurt.

My Pi 2 was re-purposed as an ADSB receiving station but will be changed to an Atom thingy once we move to our permanent UK home.

Yes, you will need a new licence key.....something to do with Big Macs and addresses  :)

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 12:54:53 pm »
The question was more about the 3B and 3B+ than the 2B and 3B+.  :)

I'm sure Lee will be along to give his opinion. Personally I've never tried the 3B+ so can't offer an opinion, sorry!

Admin

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 08:54:14 pm »
I would recommend the 3b over the 3b+ it uses less power
Thx
Lee

GeoffreyC

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 09:39:56 am »
I would recommend the 3b over the 3b+ it uses less power
Thx
Lee
Thanks Lee.   I have PM'd you details of my new Pi MAC address to swap it over.

After dismantling my PAW and trying it on the bench I found that it worked,  and then it didn't,  and then it did.  Turns out that the Micro USB power socket worked some of the time but a little wiggle of the power lead and it would stop again .  I guess with flying and vibration the solder has weakened or cracked and so its not making proper connection.

Have got a new Pi which works fine now.

Geoffrey