Author Topic: 360Radar VRS Display of MLAT traffic  (Read 2495 times)

Moffrestorer

360Radar VRS Display of MLAT traffic
« on: January 10, 2020, 06:48:46 pm »
Hi team,

I installed a second SDR to PWKingsto groundstation just prior to Christmas. My location is fairly quiet regarding GA but today the WX was fine and there were a few aircraft in the general area. I noted from the VRS traffic table that there were many MLAT contacts though most were over 20 km distant.
Can anyone advise the maximum range that MLAT contacts will display on the VRS from my location?
Also,without referring to the traffic table, is there any way to determine what type of contact (O,P,A,M) is applicable?

Thx,

Chris

exfirepro

Re: 360Radar VRS Display of MLAT traffic
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 07:44:18 pm »
Hi Chris,

MLAT aircraft ‘tend’ to show as ‘twins’ on VRS, whereas ADSB aircraft ‘seem’ to be indicated by ‘Jet’ symbols, but I can’t say this is diagnostic or consistent.

The display range for MLAT ‘used’ to be a 50Km around your own site, but I know Lee & Co have been doing a considerable amount of development work over recent weeks (months), so this and other parameters may well have changed. ADSB ‘should’ (at least in theory) display anywhere within whatever area your display is zoomed to cover, but again there is some evidence that this may have changed recently.

Lee....??

Regards

Peter

Moffrestorer

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 11:54:45 pm »
Hi Lee and Keith,

I recently happened upon Keith’s March 2020 update on Building an OGN-R station, entitled “ Building an ATOM Station” in the OGN section on the PilotAware.com website.

Page 23 of the paper references the need to request the unlocking of 360Radar data so that MLAT targets will display on the VRS. I sent the email and it was quickly acknowledged and MLAT data was now being displayed in addition to ADS-B, PilotAware and Flarm traffic.

Fast forward to Monday of this week. Superb WX and everyone and his dog seemed to be airborne. For once in my area, there was a lot of traffic to observe. I must congratulate you both and the whole PilotAware/ 360Radar team on the superb ATOM GRID system that you have all developed. With my iPad connected to the IP address of my OGN-R it was displaying just about everything with any form of EC for a decent radius around my home location. The whole package, including the traffic page, showing details of traffic data uplinks to PAW equipped aircraft is simply stunning. I am so impressed!

A question: I noticed a fast jet, a Hawk T1A, enter the area medium/ low level, details of call sign, ICAO etc flagged next to the breadcrumb track. It didn’t seem to be listed in the traffic list, so I was unsure what type of EC it was emitting but presume ADS-B or Mode S/ MLAT. Are you able to confirm that if not logged in the traffic table (maybe because it’s a “military target “), the ATOM GRID may not Uplink this data? Not sure whether it’s EC would have been detectable direct air/air? I have screen shots if you are able to investigate.

Thx,

Chris

Admin

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 01:14:57 pm »
Hi Chris
If its not in the traffic table, it will not rebroadcast.
Would be interested in the screenshots if you can provide
Also the ICAO code if you have it

Thx
Lee

Moffrestorer

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 07:26:13 am »
Hi Lee,

Link to Dropbox provided by PM.

Thx,

Chris