Author Topic: Development of PAW  (Read 2265 times)

PeterG

Development of PAW
« on: April 07, 2020, 09:55:09 am »
As we're now in lockdown and grounded for a bit, I'm just wondering what is happening with PAW.

The last update was around 10 months ago and, to be honest, I haven't been able to use some of the new features (the multilateration doesn't seem to work for me in the Far SW, probably as we have fewer receivers). I rarely see Mode C traffic, even when I am flying alongside them. I seem only to pick up Mode S, ADSB and PAW.

SD does produce more regular updates and their version history now shows forthcoming developments. Is this a practical thing for PAW to do?

Finally, could the PAW team bring us up to speed as to what they are working on and the direction of travel of PAW, as far as they can.

steveu

Re: Development of PAW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 12:41:26 pm »

The last update was around 10 months ago and, to be honest, I haven't been able to use some of the new features (the multilateration doesn't seem to work for me in the Far SW, probably as we have fewer receivers). I rarely see Mode C traffic, even when I am flying alongside them. I seem only to pick up Mode S, ADSB and PAW.

Receivers need to be OGN-R/ATOM GRID to uplink the Mode-S stuff received/contributed by MLAT via the P3i frequency. Not all ground stations are ATOM GRID/OGN-R.

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 01:33:34 pm »
Hi Peter Thanks for your post

Firstly let me answer your points in turn.

The last update was around 10 months ago and, to be honest, I haven't been able to use some of the new features (the multilateration doesn't seem to work for me in the Far SW,

I notice that from earlier posts you are based at Dunkswell EGTU. The SW is one of the least serviced areas by the ground network although the guys recently installed a great site at Western Zoyland.

The OGN-R site at EGTU has been up and down since the unfortunate death of Chris Parsons, who maintained the system. So perhaps when you went flying and couldn't see the gliders it was possibly because it was down at the time.

When flying you can check if you are in-range of an OGN Station as this will be shown on the top right-hand side of the PilotAware RADAR screen. Obviously if you are not in range then you will not see gliders nor Mode-S 3D.

It would be great if we had more sites in the SW such as Bodmin, Perranporth, Truro or even on folks houses to improve the network range. All offers gratefully accepted.

I rarely see Mode C traffic, even when I am flying alongside them. I seem only to pick up Mode S, ADSB and PAW.

There is no reason why you should See Mode-S and not Mode-C as a bearing-less target. Both need to be interrogated by 1030MHz and this may not happen at low levels in remote areas. There are however considerably less Mode-C than Mode-S transponders installed.

SD does produce more regular updates and their version history now shows forthcoming developments. Is this a practical thing for PAW to do?

SD has more resources than PilotAware but I will produce an update to let you know what we are up to which is considerable.

Finally, could the PAW team bring us up to speed as to what they are working on and the direction of travel of PAW, as far as they can.

Yes I will put it in the to-do list.

Regards

Keith

PeterG

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 03:54:31 pm »
Thanks Keith.

It will be a while before we are able to use PAW in a meaningful way. Certainly I haven't seen any of the North Hill glider for months, but I guess that is because the EGTU aerial is down when rebroadcasting. 

I'm not sure that Mode S outnumbers Mode C, but looking forward to getting airborne again soon

Regards

Peter

mariko

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 04:57:57 pm »
during my setup tests, I  had a reliable modeC and non positional modeS advices setting the vertical display setting of bearingless traffic to +-2000ft and highest sensitivity.
Ciao
  Mariko

Keithvinning

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 10:50:15 am »
I'm not sure that Mode S outnumbers Mode C, but looking forward to getting airborne again soon

Yes, there are much more Mode-S than Mode-C Transponders in the UK.

The figures show that 66% of GA aircraft attending the LAA Rally last September had Mode-S transponders whereas only 1% had Mode-C only. The number of Mode-S transponders is significantly greater than Mode-C only ones

https://airspace4all.org/reports/ec-data-collection-at-laa-rally-2019/

The data was collected electronically by PilotAware ATOM GRID Ground stations as PilotAware is the only company capable of collecting everything in this manner but this was also compared with paper records.  The presentation was by John Brady, Airspace for All A4A.

Cheers

Keith