Author Topic: Bluetooth Volume  (Read 1241 times)

PaulSS

Bluetooth Volume
« on: March 08, 2020, 09:02:42 am »
Okay, so I know it's not strictly PAW but (a)it is related and (b)I know there are plenty of electro-gurus who hang around these hallowed halls and it's the brains of those I wish to pick.

I want to be able to Bluetooth audio from my iPad Mini to BOTH of my David Clark One-X headsets to get traffic warnings (told you it was related). Admittedly, these will come from SkyDemon instead of my PAW but that saves me having to get a mixer in order to get PAW traffic & SD nav warnings separately. These headsets pair nicely to the iPad but, obviously, you can only get Bluetooth audio to one at a time. The solution was to buy a Bluetooth splitter. I got the one in the photos below because I can run it directly off my Charge4 and, because it doesn't have a power on/off button, it means it will come on with aircraft power going to my Charge4 and no silly reaching under the panel to turn it on. So far, so good, I think  ???

Next my thoughts turned to shutting up the nagging from my iPad if things get busy in the circuit etc. Easiest solution is to turn off the Bluetooth on the headsets. Yes, that will work but it's not ideal fumbling around over my shoulder to do that and I would prefer a neat panel solution. I am far too retentive to have things stuck on the panel, abhor wires showing and don't do velcro, so the solution needs to be hidden, just as the Charge4 and Bluetooth splitter are hidden behind the panel  :D

I do have a very convenient hole in the sub-panel beneath the throttle panel and thought this would be a lovely place to plonk a volume control.....and so my thoughts turned to using that as a solution to my Bluetooth audio 'concerns' and this is where I would like any thoughts on what I think I might be able to do.

As per my diagram below (carefully hidden above the great big picture of the splitter), I am thinking that I can take the audio output from the iPad Mini and run it through a volume control potentiometer prior to it getting to the Bluetooth splitter. Now, I know I haven't used the correct symbology for a potentiometer etc but I wanted to make plain my thoughts on how this might be achieved, rather than draw up a wiring diagram for someone to construct it for me.

So, sages of electro things, do you think this is a 'goer' or do I fall foul of things like impedance.....about which I don't have a clue?

Thank you for your forbearance in yet another War & Peace posting by my good self  ;D

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 09:06:22 am by PaulSS »