Author Topic: No connection in Skydemon - RESOLVED  (Read 8382 times)

Matt S

Re: No connection in Skydemon
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2020, 11:50:49 pm »
Thank you Peter & Lee for your additional thoughts.

Responding to Lee's questions I can confirm:

Ipad is connecting to PilotAware as I can see the pilotaware homepage on IP address 192.168.1.1 with 'all the greens'
Pilotaware is set to output 'pilotaware udp'
SkyDemon 3rd party device is set to 'PilotAware'

It's very strange. When the Third-Party Device setting is set to 'FLARM with Air Connect' SD connects to the Pilotaware but not when setting to 'Pilotaware', so it would seem to be something particular to this type of connection.

Peter - I noted your comments about the Pi 3 connections and if I choose to switch to that device then I will look to get it registered. For now I am going to continue to try and diagnose the issue with the pi 2.

One further observation is that I have run the same setup on my android phone (Galaxy S9) and am also still not getting a connection to PAW from SD (though I can connect to paw through my chrome browser on 192.168.1.1 with 'all the greens') - see screenshot attached.

Because I am not getting a connection when running SD on either my ipad or android phone it's making me think it might be something in the latest version of the Pilotaware though it seems very odd that no-one else seems to have experienced the issue. I am going to revert to the older version (20180520) to see if that resolves the issue. If that fails I'm left thinking it's user error somewhere but at this stage I can't fathom what I might be doing wrong. 

I'll let you know my findings....

Ian Melville

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 07:17:37 am »
Not sure that many people will be running RPi 2 devices.  There are significant advantages in upgrading to a RPi 3 plus. That could be why it has not been reported before?

Wondering if I still have a RPi 2 that has not been repurposed?

grahambaker

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2020, 07:29:37 am »
I wonder if the OP has had his issue resolved?

exfirepro

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2020, 08:34:04 am »
Hi Graham,

I’ve dropped the OP an e-mail to ask if he managed to resolve the problem.

Regards

Peter

exfirepro

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2020, 08:39:54 am »
Matt,

I was thinking yesterday about asking you to try on another (preferably android) device to see if that made any difference, so glad to see your report - but just as stuck for an answer.

Ian,

There are still a significant number of  PAWs out there running on Pi2s, so I would be surprised if that’s the issue, but will run up one of my Pi2s and give it a try. I can replicate Matt’s setup as my ‘spare’ iOS device is a Mini 2.

Regards

Peter

a1650772

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2020, 08:43:49 am »
I am just following up on the query above. The first day I tried the Rosetta it would not work with UDP or Auto - only Flarm. However, I tried the next day - with no changes to settings - and it worked fine. I haven't tried since. The only difference I can think of is that the battery was better charged on the second attempt.

exfirepro

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2020, 09:01:56 am »
Hi a1650772,

Many thanks for the quick response and update. That would certainly imply that your problem was power related. Not sure that helps in the present case however as Matt’s screengrabs are showing no indication of power issues.

Matt/All,

I have also read back through the ‘Barbeau’ thread mentioned and also Barbeau’s earlier thread from early 2018, but that was before Lee altered the software to resolve a known UDP over WiFi connectivity issue on iOS which was resolved by releasing 20180520.

Matt,

You said that your Homebuilt Pi2 / Bridge Setup was working fine on ‘the earlier version of the software’ until you ‘upgraded’ to 20190621. Can you tell us what version that was - i.e. was it 20180520 or an earlier version? (Postscript - just noticed you said that it was 20180520 - P  :-[ )

Lee,

The thought crossed my mind that this could be related to the old DHCP connection issue on iOS, but Matt is seeing the same problem on his android Galaxy S9 - so surely not.

Could this still be power related even though nothing is indicating? Would a long term soak test help show something up?

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 09:41:05 am by exfirepro »

Matt S

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2020, 12:15:41 am »
I reverted to software version 20180520 on the Pi 2 and it's back working again! SD connected immediately to my pi 2. So it would seem there's something about the latest version of paw that is preventing a connection from SD running on my Ipad Mini 2 to paw running on my pi 2 (unless there was a power issue not being detected that has suddenly resolved itself which seems highly unlikely given I have probably performed about 30 tests on the same hardware set up).

Does this point to a possible cause in the latest paw version. My ipad mini is running ios version 12.4.5

Graham - Good to hear from you! Hope all's well with you. I guess you may not have realised when contributing to the thread who I am as my surnames not included in my username! ;-)

Thanks all for your continued support whilst I've been grappling with this issue.  At least for now I have an operational set-up.

Matt

Matt S

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 12:26:30 am »
Hi Ian,

I meany =t to reply to your post on my earlier reply. I did try running paw (version 20190620) on an RPi 3 model b but that did not resolve the issue. So I went back to the RPi 2 to continue trying to diagnose the problem.

Thanks,

Matt

grahambaker

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 06:43:11 am »
Hi Matt,

Good to hear from you, and I’m glad you are making some progress in resolving your issue. The penny hadn’t dropped it was you!

Things are going well, thanks. Luckily my aircraft has been away at the beauty salon for new paint over the last two months, thus dodging the floods which would have soaked it three or four times had it stayed at home.

Admin

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2020, 12:59:25 pm »
Hi Matt,

Can you explain exactly the 2 scenarios which work / do not work ?

Hardware version
Software Version
Connection Method
Configuration setting

Also, where are you based ?

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2020, 01:01:32 pm »
Hi Ian,
I meany =t to reply to your post on my earlier reply. I did try running paw (version 20190620) on an RPi 3 model b but that did not resolve the issue. So I went back to the RPi 2 to continue trying to diagnose the problem.
Thanks,
Matt
I don't fully understand this, if you changed the underlying hardware, the license would not work unless re-licensed, are you saying that the license was OK, but it did not function correctly ?

I looked in our database, and I think you were one of the early adopters who built your own hardware and purchased a Bridge, rather than a full product, is that correct.
Could it be that the WiFi dongle you used is not fully compatible ?

Can you Try your Pi3 again, I am pretty sure this did not work due to a licensing issue.
If you give the license request code for the Pi3, I can generate a license to try

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 01:06:29 pm by Admin »

Matt S

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2020, 12:10:14 am »
Hi Lee,

I have set up my pi 3 again with software 20190621. I hadn't realised i needed to register the pi 3 mac address against my existing license key or have a replacement license key and so that explains why it may not have connected. The mac address for my pi 3 is B827EBD24D98.

You were correct when you stated that I was an early adopter who purchased a Bridge to build my own hardware set up.

Please let me know if you need any other information.  Will you be registering my pi 3 mac address against my existing license or do you intend to share a temporary new key to help with testing?

Many thanks,

Matt

exfirepro

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2020, 10:35:11 am »
Lee,

For the avoidance of doubt, I had already covered the issue of the ‘temporary’ Pi3 being unlicensed.

Matt had stated earlier that he had tried one of his Kid’s Pi3s to see if that would clear the issue, but hadn’t realised (until I told him) that it wouldn’t work without a licence swap, so had reverted to his Homebuilt Pi2 so we could continue trying to work out what was going on.

We then continued to try to resolve why SkyDemon was refusing to establish a connection on the Pi2 - which he had recently upgraded it to 20190621, despite the fact that he clearly still had a WiFi connection and was able to ‘see’ his PAW via his browser - when it had been running properly on 20180520 before the upgrade.

Presumably not a ‘wrong WiFi chip’ issue as it was reportedly working fine previously, but my thoughts were that it could be a ‘dodgy’ WiFi dongle or the ‘old SDR playing up and blocking the WiFi signal’ that we have seen in the past with a few older units, but we hadn’t got round to testing which yet.

Regards

Peter

exfirepro

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2020, 11:35:20 am »
Matt,

If you get a chance, it would be worth trying removing the SDR /1090 antenna from your Pi2 unit (with Bridge) then power it up (with 20190621) and see if you still get the frozen ‘Connecting to device’ issue. That would eliminate a dodgy SDR as a potential source of the data block.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:21:31 pm by exfirepro »