Author Topic: Need for a timer  (Read 1791 times)

peter.seddon

Need for a timer
« on: February 17, 2020, 09:13:37 am »
Hi all
Is it necessary to have a timer restart the OGN PI, I assumed it was to do a check for updates but as these seem to be done at random periods during normal operation.
Cheers
Peter.
Peter S
G-DDLA

exfirepro

Re: Need for a timer
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 12:59:44 pm »
Hi Peter,

It used to be necessary to restart each unit daily to check for updates, but checks for updates have (as you have noticed) been incorporated into the software for some time now and happen automatically (as long as stations are running software newer than 20191008). Older stations must do a manual update to a version newer than 20191008, after which updates will be fully automatic.

Is your query related to your comment in your other thread where you say that your station at Barrow doesn’t start properly after a timer restart? I did wonder that there was no feedback on that comment.

Regards

Peter

peter.seddon

Re: Need for a timer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 10:56:28 am »
Hi Peter,

It used to be necessary to restart each unit daily to check for updates, but checks for updates have (as you have noticed) been incorporated into the software for some time now and happen automatically (as long as stations are running software newer than 20191008). Older stations must do a manual update to a version newer than 20191008, after which updates will be fully automatic.

Is your query related to your comment in your other thread where you say that your station at Barrow doesn’t start properly after a timer restart? I did wonder that there was no feedback on that comment.

Regards

Peter
No it's not, I still have a timer on the Morecambe receiver so was thinking of removing it. The problem with EGNL is still unknown so for the time being I've disabled the PAW side and left it as just a flarm receiver. This has drastically reduced the data usage hence cost of running the station via a 3G access point. There is another receiver with PAW just a couple of miles away (UKBRW) which will provide cover for the area.
Cheers.
Peter.
Peter S
G-DDLA