Author Topic: Runway HD on Iphone display delay?  (Read 4463 times)

r_w_walker

Runway HD on Iphone display delay?
« on: October 23, 2015, 09:00:21 pm »
Hi,

See below for original problem. Now resolved.

Solution,

Set FLARM parameters to + or - 1000 feet.
Adjust displayed map size so you can only see a radius of 10 miles.

On removing power from PilotAware iPhone reports loss of FLARM in a few seconds.

Whilst trying system I had set it to look at + or - 50000 feet and about 50 miles. Could see plenty of contacts but Runway HD has trouble keeping up displaying lots of contacts. Seems to store them and display them when it can. Hence still displaying for a minute or so after switching PilotAware off.

In normal use only interested in close contacts so should display those correctly.

Original Post.

Built a PilotAware to use on my iphone with Runway HD.

First tests successful so have an Ipad on order.

So far only tested on dashboard of Landrover but receiving ADSB from commercial traffic O.k.

However today I noticed that after disconnecting the power to the PilotAware the iphone continued to display moving traffic for a few
minutes?

So either the PilotAware continues to send information after power disconnected or the information sent is delayed somewhere, in a buffer?, and displayed later.

So anyone know if there is a time delay before data is displayed?

If there is a delay it may or may not be significant depending on length of delay and closing speed of approaching aircraft.

Tried attaching photos but files too large?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:17:27 pm by r_w_walker »
South Moor Farm
Guest accommodation and airstrip.
www.southmoorfarm.co.uk. hi@southmoorfarm.co.uk
01751 460285

Admin

Re: Runway HD on Iphone display delay?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 09:18:18 pm »
A few minutes !!! Really ?

A few seconds would be possible, I think this needs reporting to Tim Marlow
Could you please do that, Tim can always contact me for any help

Thx
Lee

IainM

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 11:21:26 pm »
Just tried on iPhone 6 and iPad , and within about two seconds of switching off the Pilotaware I get a big red error message on Runway HD saying "Loss of FLARM Data", and the traffic disappears.  Seems to be working OK and detecting the loss of the PAW right away here. 

r_w_walker

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 10:55:21 am »
O.K. not quite two minutes. Will talk to Tim Marlow on Monday, I presume he works at AirBox.

Tried again this morning, iphone showing traffic around Doncaster, Leeds and Bradford.

Disconnected power to PilotAware unit:-

Traffic still showing on my iPhone 4 and moving for one minute and 47seconds?

"Loss of FLARM data" message! flashed during that time and finally came on at one minute 47 seconds.

Seems I have information being stored somewhere for later display.

Will see if it happens on my iPad when it arrives.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 11:05:15 am by r_w_walker »
South Moor Farm
01751 460285

IainM

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 04:20:28 pm »
Must be behaving differently on the different generations of iPhone, or something else different about our setups. I was using the iPhone 6 for Runway HD, with collision aware running on the iPad, I'll maybe try with everything on the iPhone and see if it still looks ok as well.

I still don't know if Runway HD gives collision warnings, or just shows the traffic.  I was on the ground today a few hundred metres from a hovering helicopter with ADSB which showed up OK, but I didn't get any warnings, although I wasn't moving so don't know if that would inhibit any warnings.

r_w_walker

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 04:19:04 pm »
Hi,

Solution,

Set FLARM parameters to + or - 1000 feet.
Adjust displayed map size so you can only see a radius of 10 miles.

On removing power from PilotAware iPhone reports loss of FLARM in a few seconds.

Whilst trying system I had set it to look at + or - 50000 feet and about 50 miles. Could see plenty of contacts but Runway HD has trouble keeping up displaying lots of contacts. Seems to store them and display them when it can. Hence still displaying for a minute or so after switching PilotAware off.

In normal use only interested in close contacts so should display those correctly.
South Moor Farm
01751 460285