Author Topic: Questions  (Read 15876 times)

gvpsj

Questions
« on: August 29, 2015, 03:50:09 pm »
Will the device work or is it planned to work with a Nexus 7 (Android) device? I and my pilot friends use these not iThings.
Will there be any addition to integrate FLARM? I operate in a very intense glider operating area.
Thanks

Admin

Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 04:58:15 pm »
Hi

There is ongoing work for android.
Hopefully something to announce in the next couple of weeks

Regarding Flarm, hhmmmmmm
The issue is that Flarm are not 'helpful', they do not publish their RF protocol,
and they encrypt their data.
I am afraid to say they do not want compatibility or interoperability

You may be aware that their data was accessible using an rtl sdr device, so they promptly
issued a firmware upgrade to change the encryption to make it inaccessible

Its difficult to deal with a company who strive to have a closed system to the detriment of the rest of us

Events may force them to have a change of heart  ;)
Maybe they should learn the lessons of Microsoft Windows OS, versus
Linux GNU and Android

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 07:08:01 pm by Admin »

gvpsj

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 11:36:01 am »
Fine - I have the same view on FLARM and their marketing. Suppose their alternative is Mk1 eyeball again!  ::)

Not into software but as Ex Aircraft Avionics (1960 apprentice) I will build a device but wait until GPS is integrated and it works on Android  :)

BobD

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 01:23:57 pm »
Regarding Flarm, hhmmmmmm
The issue is that Flarm are not 'helpful', they do not publish their RF protocol,
and they encrypt their data.
I am afraid to say they do not want compatibility or interoperability

Just been reading up on the Open Glider Network (http://wiki.glidernet.org/) about their work and issues with Flarm. I'm never quite sure how effective petitions are in getting commercial organisations to change their thinking, but on the basis that it can't do any harm, I have signed up to their petition to encourage Flarm to think again, and would encourage other users on this and other Forums to do the same:

https://www.change.org/p/mr-urs-rothacher-flarm-chairman-petition-against-flarm-decision-to-encrypt-the-communication-protocol?recruiter=371494356&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_content=pm_checklist_email%3Achecklist&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

If PowerAware could see Flarm targets, it would greatly increase its effectiveness.

BobD

gvpsj

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 04:18:48 pm »
Signed!

Admin

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 04:46:23 pm »
If PowerAware could see Flarm targets, it would greatly increase its effectiveness.

Sounds like a cross between PilotAware and PowerFlarm
are you working on some new product Bob ?
 ;D

map5623

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 07:29:58 pm »
Fine - I have the same view on FLARM and their marketing. Suppose their alternative is Mk1 eyeball again!  ::)

Not into software but as Ex Aircraft Avionics (1960 apprentice) I will build a device but wait until GPS is integrated and it works on Android  :)

Another Android user here.

BobD

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 08:31:48 pm »

Sounds like a cross between PilotAware and PowerFlarm
are you working on some new product Bob ?
 ;D

Must be my dyslexia kicking in again !    :-[

gvpsj

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 09:53:52 am »
Hi Folks
If (when) I build a unit for my Android will it or at least most of the components be compatable with future upgrades - Adding GPS, etc?
Would it be possible to solder the 'dongles' direct to the main circuit?
John

Admin

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 10:42:38 am »
Hi John
If (when) I build a unit for my Android will it or at least most of the components be compatable with future upgrades - Adding GPS, etc?
That is certainly the intention.
The idea behind the hardware platform is to leave plenty of room for manoeuvre,
in terms of S/W - we are not near the limits of the processing power
and H/W - we have 2 available USB slots, and some additional internal GPIO pins

Would it be possible to solder the 'dongles' direct to the main circuit?
Hmm, this is more difficult.
This is a possibility using a Compute PI approach whereby you create your own PCB,
including your own peripherals, which you then attach a PI compute module - the main
compute hardware.
Difficulty equates to expense, as soon as you start making bespoke hardware rather
than off the shelf, the costs increases due to the NRE (non-recurring engineering) work
and the additional manfuafacture costs. These costs are usually amortized over large
volumes for large markets.

Thx
Lee

gvpsj

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 02:02:39 pm »
Ah I was not thinking that clearly. I was thinking of dispensing with the dongle 'case' and soldering the gubbins bupassing nthe USB plug and sockes so elimination connections.
Thanks, John

Admin

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 02:07:08 pm »
Ah I was not thinking that clearly. I was thinking of dispensing with the dongle 'case' and soldering the gubbins bupassing nthe USB plug and sockes so elimination connections.
Thanks, John
Wow thats ambitious!
but would also void your warranty on the PI  :-\
Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:16:17 pm by Admin »

gvpsj

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 03:44:00 pm »
Awful fat fingers with the spelling! Not worried about the warranty! Don't like connections in aircraft wiring if they can be dispensed with.
John

trapdoor

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 04:40:34 pm »
It's a shame there isn't a set of USB headers on the board, but 'bodging' a hard-wire and perhaps having the 'ADS-B Rx' in the case with an MCX to SMA pigtail for another socket on the case would make things a tad tidier. I too may look into this as it should be a simple job.

gvpsj

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 09:36:52 am »
Plan to be at the Rally so see you there.
Might it be a suggestion for the build .pdf to have one page with the latest components in a single list with known suppliers?
Cheers. John