Author Topic: No Hotspot  (Read 2548 times)

Gramac

No Hotspot
« on: January 24, 2020, 10:37:46 am »
Hi,

I noticed on a flight at the new year that there was no ADBS and I had trouble connecting my iPad to the PilotAware. Today I see I am completely unable to connect the device at all and it doesn’t provide a hotspot. I’ve removed it from my flexwing and put it in my car and the same thing.

I have a constant red light inside and unable to connect via 192.168.1.1 

I have unplugged the GPS and other USB plug and still the same. I’m sure there used to be a flashing green ?

I’m presuming the unit may have developed a fault.  Is there a factory reset option ?

Kind regards

Graham

Ian Melville

Re: No Hotspot
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 12:55:22 pm »
Other USB plug? That will be the WiFi dongle  ;) I think you will need that.

Can you, with WiFi dongle installed, see the PAW  Hotspot in the list of available networks?

The SD card can be reformatted and a fresh install done. I suppose that equates to a factory reset.

If you plug in a HDMI monitor and boot up, what do you see?

Gramac

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 02:35:31 pm »
With other dongles in there is no hotspot available like usual. I will try with a HDMI connector later.

Thanks

Graham

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 02:57:45 pm »
Ian,

From previous Forum correspondence with Graham, his PAW is a Rosetta - so there is NO WiFi dongle as the WiFi is (as you know) onboard.

Graham,

Obviously no point in asking for screenshots if you can’t connect to the PAW.

There is a factory reset, but it requires you to connect your PAW to a monitor (or TV) using an HDMI cable and also connect a USB keyboard.

WARNING: If the reset doesn’t cure the problem, your only resort is to carry out a ‘Full Overwrite Reformat’ of the microSD card and download and re-install a fresh copy of the latest software. You will also need to re-enter your current Licence Key and all your configuration settings

If you wan’t to give it a try...

After connecting the monitor and keyboard, power up the PAW and be ready to follow the instructions below...

Powering up the PAW will bring up a rainbow ‘splash’ screen, followed fairly quickly by a screen with the instruction ‘To enter setup hold down the ‘Shift’ Key’ (on the attached keyboard). Doing this brings up a control screen with several icons at the top, plus a software entry for...

Raspbian Full [RECOMMENDED] [INSTALLED]

If you also have a USB mouse connected, click ‘Install’, otherwise click ‘i’ on the keyboard followed -once the confirmation box appears - by ‘Enter’ to confirm the request and begin the reset.

PilotAware will then revert and reinstall the original software version on the card.

This will take at least 15 to 20 minutes, during which time you must NOT power down the unit or attempt any other keyboard inputs.

At the end of this period, you will see a small confirmation box..

OS(es) Installed Successfully

You need to click ‘Enter’ to acknowledge this, following which the PAW will reboot and if all is well, the Hotspot should appear on your tablet and you should be able to log in as normal.

Don’t forget to re-enter AND SAVE your Licence Key, then reconfigure and save your desired settings.

Sorry this is a bit long-winded, but I haven’t done it for a while, so have just run it on my own Rosetta to confirm before posting.

Best Regards

Peter

Gramac

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 04:27:11 pm »
Thanks Peter,

Will it need to be connected to a power supply when the HDMI cable is inserted ? If so I may be struggling in the house as I’ve not got a power source.

Regards

Graham

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 05:04:42 pm »
Hi Graham,

Yes - but if you remove the dongles, you ‘might’ get away with using a decent android charger - as near to 2amps as possible. (The dongles aren’t needed to do the reset). Alternatively, you could try a USB power pack if you have (or can borrow) one.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:11:39 pm by exfirepro »

Gramac

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 09:35:40 pm »
I’ve connected the Rosetta via a HDMI cable to the TV and powered it up with my Anler Powerbank which throws out the required a page and nothing happened. I’ve tried to read the SD card on a laptop and MacBook and have been unable to do so. I cannot reformat the SD card as it says it is write protected and everything I have done to over come this has failed from using the CMD function and also changing my registry values with RegEdit.

I’ve come to the conclusion the the SD card is unserviceable and ordered an new one. I will keep this thread posted.

Thanks

G

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 10:45:56 pm »
Hi Graham,

Thanks, yes it does sound like the card has become corrupted - please keep us posted and comeback and let us know how you get on once you get your new card.

Regards

Peter

Gramac

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 05:24:48 pm »
It was the SD card that was corrupted. New card in, but obviously it’s wiped all my setting and configurations, so I will have to start again.

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 07:10:24 pm »
Hi Graham,

Thanks for letting us know. Glad you have got it running again. Yes, it is a bit of a pain having to reset all your configuration settings, but on the positive side it increases familiarity with the available options and let’s you try out alternatives if you want to. Any issues, just come back on and ask.

Best Regards

Peter