Author Topic: Generally unreliable since last software update  (Read 3822 times)

jollyrog

Generally unreliable since last software update
« on: January 19, 2020, 05:56:14 pm »
I find it to be so in both my aircraft and a friend experiences the same. No change to hardware.

Symptoms:

1. Often "unable to connect to device". WiFi is up on the iPad, but SkyDemon not seeing the PAW.

2. No traffic information. 1090 fails to connect (as on the status screen, red) so the only (minimal) traffic which is captured/displayed is PAW.

If it was one unit, I'd blame the unit, but this general unreliable behaviour identical on three units.

Roger

Admin

Re: Generally unreliable since last software update
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 06:11:47 pm »
Its the auto detect on the configure page
Change from auto, to
pilotaware(udp)
Or
Gdl90

Depending upon which you use to connect in your nav device
Thx
Lee

jollyrog

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 06:26:43 pm »
Lee, thanks for the reply. This is already the setting on the three PAWs.

Here's a screenshot from my friend's aircraft on an offending flight I was sent today.

Roger

Admin

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 06:53:18 pm »
Hi Roger
It is reporting a voltage error, take a look at the status line
What is the power supply ?
Also, the cable is important, and apparently they degrade over time

Are you saying 3 pilotawares have the same issue ?
Are these classics or rosetta ?
What is the tablet type ?

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 06:56:09 pm by Admin »

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 07:00:19 pm »
Hi Roger,

I was just about to post this when I noticed Lee’s reply.

From that screenshot, there is certainly a power supply issue with your mate’s PAW and it looks like the 1090 Rx SDR has gone west (reporting ‘Unavailable’ on the 1090 Status line and also not listed in the components list at the bottom of the page). It could of course be that the SDR has gone faulty and this is causing the power issue.

If it’s a Classic, he can buy a replacement from the PilotAware website (www.pilotaware.com) or he could update to the newer NooElec NESDR Nano 2 now used in the Rosetta (currently not listed on the PilotAware site, but available from Amazon).

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 03:10:39 pm by exfirepro »

jollyrog

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 08:57:25 pm »
Thank you both for your replies. What you say makes sense.

To answer your questions...

Three aircraft, KX, OR, WZ;
KX & OR - Classic
WZ - a hybrid. Pi B3, with  2 x NooElec SMArTee receivers

KX & WZ, power from certified USB socket, TA102. OR via Anker 12v to USB cigar lighter adapter.

Swapped the receivers in KX & OR for the new NooElec, as advised. Some success, but still issues, see the screenshots below. after the swaps.

KX - was the image displayed at start of this chain. Forgot to take screen grab today, but was four greens for the devices but still ERROR on the voltage.

WZ:

OR:

The power cable on OR is the better of the three. It's thick, short, hard-wired to the PAW via a toggle switch (see image). KX is a short flimsy cable with USBs both ends. WZ is a reasonable cable, hard-wired at the PAW end but is 1.5m long and I wonder what the voltage drop is in it. Will replace both KX & WZ cables in due course.

jollyrog

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 09:01:16 pm »
Sorry, should have said - iPad4 mini in all cases.

jollyrog

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 09:06:30 pm »
What are the voltage thresholds for ERROR and WARNING, and are there any other limits/messages?

Admin

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 09:30:59 pm »
Hi Rog

Warning and Error are not individually thresholds, let me try to explain

The Pi itself generates a warning that the voltage has dropped below an acceptable level
This immediately generates an error.

If the Pi stops warning after 5 seconds, it reverts to a Warning.

So the Warning indicates that thresholds have historically been exceeded
Error means they are currently exceeded

IIRC the Nooelec are very bad and draw a lot of power, it could be 300ma
We do not use these

Another question, do you ever plug another device (such as ipad) into that second usb port on the Aux USB plug
If so, that would be VERY BAD, when an Apple device connects to a USB source - it draws as much as it can take
this is notorious for dragging both ports down to an unacceptable voltage level.

Also, why do you have 2 x SDR receivers plugged in ?
Only one will be used but both will draw power.

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 09:35:41 pm by Admin »

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 11:44:44 am »
Hi Roger,

Looks like OR is now OK, though it hadn’t been running long when you took the screen-grab. Has it continued to run OK since?

Re WZ,

IIRC the Nooelec are very bad and draw a lot of power, it could be 300ma
We do not use these.

Lee

I think Lee is referring to the long ‘metal cased’ temperature controlled NooElec NESDRSmart dongles, which do draw quite a high current. As I advised above, the NooElec NESDR Nano 2 is now supplied as standard in the Rosetta, so should be OK - at least as a single SDR install.

I presume the reason you have 2 x SDR receivers plugged is (was) to receive 978 weather transmissions?  If so, are you aware that that project has been abandoned?

Although OK as a single SDR installation, it may still be that two of the Nano 2 SDRs will draw too much current from your installation - I haven’t tried to test that setup yet as at the present time there isn’t much point when 978 is a ‘no go’. Why not try removing the ‘non-1090’ one and see if that helps?

I suspect the problem with WZ is a straightforward power issue. If changing the power lead doesn’t cure it, I would consider swapping the WiFi dongle (or upgrade the board to a Pi3).

Regards

Peter

Winged_Jaguar

Re: Generally reliable since last software update
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 10:37:05 pm »
Hi Lee,

Just a general example to show the excellent reliability and stability of the PAW build. The NooElec in my setup is plugged into a 12v Anker hub (as is the PAW).
Over 100 days of the PAW running uninterrupted as a ground station is good going and the sort of reliability one needs. Anyone who has had the misfortune to have a GPS drop-out whilst airborne using the excellent SkyDemon will be reminded suddenly of the value of the PLOG and map and the value of a reliable piece of kit.

Good work Lee. :)

Admin

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 07:56:02 am »
Hmm, I think we should change the thread name ?

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 09:06:21 am »
Hmm, I think we should change the thread name ?

I agree.... though jollyrog didn’t come back to advise whether he got everything sorted  :(

Regards

Peter