Author Topic: 'no ADSB' error on Trig TT21  (Read 6833 times)

Bobstreet

'no ADSB' error on Trig TT21
« on: January 18, 2020, 09:24:05 pm »
Our new PilotAware unit is working well and showing traffic. However having connected it to the Trig transponder using the recommended Farnell cable, I am constantly getting a 'no ADSB' error message on the transponder in the air. The transponder is OK on the ground, but when airborne and when I assume it is being interrogated by secondary radar it shows the error. I am pretty sure that I connected to the correct pins on the transponder plug, pins 5 and 6. (Peter says 4 and 5, but 4 and 6 are both ground connections so hopefully that is OK). I will go to the airfield this week and double check my connections.

exfirepro

Re: 'no ADSB' error on Trig TT21
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 10:27:07 pm »
Hi Bob,

Pin 6 is Ground for the Optional (TIS) Traffic Display and may not be connected within the other side of the plug.

I will be down at the airfield tomorrow, if you are about and can take a look.

Regards

Peter

Bobstreet

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 12:43:40 am »
Thanks Peter. Grant will have finished with the aircraft at around 12.30, so will be able to look at it then.

exfirepro

Re: 'no ADSB' error on Trig TT21 - Now Sorted!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 06:16:18 pm »
A quick update for anyone reading this in future.

Bob swapped the black FTDI lead ‘ground’ wire from Trig pin 6 (where he had originally put it) to pin 4 while I went flying, but on my return he reported that he was still getting no position data on the Trig. He suspected the GPS, but I pointed out that the PilotAware was transmitting, which it wouldn’t do if it didn’t have a solid GPS fix.

Checking for a ‘flashing red’ on the chip in the FTDI lead USB plug (which was in USB Port 2), we could only see a solid red light between the FTDI and the GPS board in Port 1, which I suspected was the GPS power LED. To confirm this, I temporarily removed the Rosetta GPS and replaced it with a remote GPS mouse in Port 3 (which left the FTDI chip exposed). After a few seconds, the mouse GPS got a fix and the red LED in the FTDI chip started flashing, but still no position showing on the Trig.

Next step, check the settings on both units, which showed up the problem - PilotAware USB Port 2 correctly configured to Transponder Trig and 4800 Baud, whereas the TT21 was configured to 9600 Baud. Reconfigured the Transponder to 4800 Baud - problem solved  :) (Alternatively I could have reconfigured the PilotAware Port to 9600 Baud - either will work as long as both are set to the same value).

A quick check showed position data now on the transponder, so swapped back to the original GPS and Bob took it for a test flight. I got a screengrab from my own PAW showing everything now OK, which Bob will need for his ADSB Out MOD. Result !!!  :)  :)

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 06:59:45 pm »
Absolutely fantastic diagnosis Peter, full credit to you
I am amazed it ever worked at all, we should be able to check on the tracking site

If 4800 is ok so be it, my preference would be 9600

Once again great job !!!

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 07:08:35 pm »
Absolutely fantastic diagnosis Peter, full credit to you
I am amazed it ever worked at all, we should be able to check on the tracking site

If 4800 is ok so be it, my preference would be 9600

Once again great job !!!

Thx
Lee

Thanks Lee,

I’m sure I was taught ‘Try the lowest Baud rate first and if that doesn’t work, increase both ends until it does’ but from personal experience I know the PilotAware /Trig combination works fine on either 4800 or 9600 (as long as both devices are set the same of course).

Best Regards

Peter

Bobstreet

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 01:59:10 pm »
Thanks for your help at the weekend, Peter. It is working well. A great piece of kit. It would be good if the trig manual was a bit more specific in labeling the pins on the plug. It has to be pins 4 & 5, not 5 & 6 as I had them. Only by looking at the block diagram in the back does it all become clearer.

PaulSS

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 09:06:09 am »
I think I would have used 4 & 5 but I do agree that Trig should be more specific IF the grounds are not all internally connected. They are with the radio, so I cannot imagine why they wouldn't be with the transponder.

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 11:56:34 am »
Hi Paul,

Not sure if the issue was definitely the ground pin, or if one of the Baud settings had simply got ‘corrupted’ during setup.

I had preset USB Port 2 in the PAW to ‘Transponder Trig at 4800’ prior to first install to make things easier for Bob later, and when he was trying to connect and set up the transponder and couldn’t get it working, he tried to phone me but couldn’t get me, so phoned Trig Support (who are local) instead. They (very helpfully) talked him through the Trig setup and presumably told him to set 9600 Baud, without realising I had set ‘our’ end to 4800.

A simple case of ‘crossed wires’ - metaphorically at least  :)

Regards

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 01:08:23 pm »
Yes, it does sound like it was the differing baud rates, instead of the ground pins. As I said, I believe the grounds are all internally interconnected. The TY91 definitely is as the ever-helpful Trig people (James) let me know that some time ago.

rodent0_2

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 04:01:14 pm »
If anyone can help please, getting the no position error on a Trig TT21, rs232 dongle in the lower left port, port configured trig 4800 baud, black wire pin 4 orange pin 5, the rs232 dongle flashes when you switch the paw on but that’s it, Trig set to NMEA 4800 and D, getting a gps fix ok gps dongle flashing green. PAW functions ok, Classic PAW BUILT ON Pi3. Thanks in advance.

Noticed the rs232 dongle flashes whilst the Pi is booting up.

Cheers folks, sorted it wrong port number, although I had tried different combinations
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:46:22 pm by rodent0_2 »
Nick

Aircreation Tanarg G-CHFT

steveu

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 04:51:21 pm »
If anyone can help please, getting the no position error on a Trig TT21, rs232 dongle in the lower left port, port configured trig 4800 baud, black wire pin 4 orange pin 5, the rs232 dongle flashes when you switch the paw on but that’s it, Trig set to NMEA 4800 and D, getting a gps fix ok gps dongle flashing green.

A friend is doing a Trig TT21 install and was told NMEA, 9600 in both devices... by Trig support. But it should support the speeds listed in the config...

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 05:43:25 pm »

Cheers folks, sorted it wrong port number, although I had tried different combinations

Hi Nick / Steve,

Wrong port number and different Baud rates set in the 2 devices are the main reasons for failure.

For the avoidance of doubt (for anyone reading this later), the USB Ports on both the PAW Classic and Rosetta are numbered as follows, with the Ethernet port at the left hand side.

Ethernet     Port 1     Port 3
 Port           Port 2     Port 4

Steve, if Trig are now recommending 9,600 Baud, I will of course defer to their superior knowledge of their devices and adjust my own future advice accordingly.

Best Regards to all.

Peter

rodent0_2

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 05:49:44 pm »
Thanks Peter that’s the info I was looking for re the port numbering but failed to find it. It’s all working now although I have the baud rate at 4800 , might up that at a later date.
Cheers, Nick
Nick

Aircreation Tanarg G-CHFT