Author Topic: Just fishing for ideas....ADSB out not being read by PAW  (Read 10591 times)

PaulSS

Re: Just fishing for ideas....ADSB out not being read by PAW
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2020, 02:16:37 pm »
This is not really PAW, is it Steve; this is more about ADSB Out. Yes, I know PAW is used in many cases to supply the GPS information but that is really the only common link. I believe PAW can detect the Mode S 'transmission' of a Funke transponder but the problem seems to be with the ADSB Out in the Funke equipment, no matter what the GPS source.

For what it's worth my machine transmitted Mode S and ADSB loud and clear when it did its test flight. This is using a Trig TT21, supplied with GPS information from my MGL iEFIS Lite. Obviously I have yet to get it 'tested' with a PAW etc and signed off but the fact that it worked from take off to landing and was seen on FR24 is probably a pretty decent indication that it worked okay. SO, I think we can put Trig in the good boy pile  :)

CliveJ

Re:Filser/.Funke
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2020, 06:15:36 pm »
In all other respects my Funke works OK, just can't get the string of numbers up on a nearby PAW to get the approval through.
Though that said a friend with a Garmin box with traffic on ot can't see me.

The ADSB is working fine for everyone else.

I do agree there seems to be a problem with the Filser/Funke branded TXP in some areas though. Certainly I wouldn't go there again. Well not until there's a software upgrade and it has resolved the issue i'm seeing. They obviously don't see it as important, maybe I'm the only one complaining.

Regards, Clive

exfirepro

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2020, 05:22:26 pm »
Hi All,

Of around 40 flexwings of various ages and types at AlanG and I’s local club, a dozen or more now run ADSB Out via Trig TT21 Transponders using a variety of GPS sources, including PilotAware, various dedicated GPS devices or in a handful of cases, Trig’s own (certified) TN72. Irrespective of the GPS source, all are partnered by PilotAware units providing additional low-cost visibility and acting as multi-mode receivers.

Mine was the second aircraft at the field set up for ADSB Out - way back in May 2015 - by installing a Trig TT21 with a dedicated (uncertified) Byonics GPS4 GPS source, to take part in local Project Eva trials run up here in Scotland by Trig. It was immediately successful, and I have since been involved with a significant number of similar installs using a variety of GPS sources and can verify that Trig’s TT21/TT22 devices are easy to set up and in my experience always work effectively. Trig’s larger TT31 stack devices are also similarly easy to adapt and effective, though owners tend to opt for Trig’s TN72 or fully certified TN70 GPS sources (and not to my knowledge in flexwings).

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter

tnowak

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2020, 08:00:10 am »
Clive,

If it helps, my friend had the older style Funke transponder and did get ADS-B Out working with PAW as the data source.
Did you get your Funke modified so the interface module contains the memory chip that stores the ICAO code?

The only issue was his ground speed, as seen by FR24 and similar, was it varied considerably.

He no longer has that installation now as he upgraded using Trig equipment.

Tony

Admin

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2020, 09:49:06 am »
The only issue was his ground speed, as seen by FR24 and similar, was it varied considerably.
Hi Tony
The reason for this, is that the funke does not emit the ground speed when using non certified Gps
No idea how funke came to this decision
Thx
Lee

steveu

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2020, 09:52:06 am »
The reason for this, is that the funke does not emit the ground speed when using non certified Gps
No idea how funke came to this decision

Assume it has something to do with SIL=0 and assuming that the ADS-B out is going to be screened out by a huge majority of receivers, then they got into the "why bother?" situation.

steveu

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2020, 09:53:30 am »

He no longer has that installation now as he upgraded using Trig equipment.

I accept Paul's point that this is not really PAW, however, any community is in a strong position to modify the behaviour of commercial entities by acting as a community.

We need to support those whose products work out of the box, those who promise software or firmware upgrades to get their products to work as desired need to have incentives to deliver, a drop in revenue until the upgrades are done ticks a box for me.

tnowak

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2020, 09:52:34 am »
I think the basic Funke transponder design is quite old and developed before aviators got interested in ADS-B Out.
As mentioned previously, to make a Funke work at all in Mode S they had to modify the interface module in order to store the ICAO code.
That cost was, I believe, a few hundred Euros.
I am not sure if a certified GPS source would make any difference as I don't think any were really available a few years ago.
Tony

CliveJ

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2020, 06:46:26 am »
My Funke is the TRT800A, I asked Funke is there was a date for the update but they didn't reply. I don't think there is any money in it so I don't think it's going to happen now. That's why I was asking for anyone with one to pester Funke.

The coding on mine is stored on the D connector.

Might be time to sell the TRT800A and get a newer TXP, I'll have to have a look to see what is the best replacement for the tray mounted unit I have. Any opinions appreciated!

Regards, Clive

exfirepro

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2020, 10:01:31 am »
Hi Clive,

As per my above - I highly recommend Trig, both for ease of install and conversion to ADSB-Out and for their excellent customer support.

Regards

Peter