Author Topic: Broken bridge  (Read 3632 times)

jamespratt

Broken bridge
« on: January 04, 2020, 05:48:49 pm »
Hi,

The 869MHz antenna connection has broken on my PAW bridge. I have minimal soldering skills - can I send this to someone in Pilotaware to repair, or will I need to buy a new bridge?

I also need to buy a new 869 antenna because the plastic has cracked just below the hinge, making it flop around - probably why the coax connection to the bridge got broken.

Any suggestions gratefuly received!

JCurtis

Re: Broken bridge
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 08:00:49 pm »
If the PAW guys can’t help I can easily replace the connector for you, I have a few on the shelf.  Just the cost of the postage if your not near Cambridge.

I have some antennas too I think filed away.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

A_Vinning33

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 11:49:51 pm »
Hi James,

Sorry to see that the SMA has broken off. In the few times I’ve seen this damage, it’s usually irreparable as the disconnection of the connector pulls the conductive pads off the PCB. It’s likely that a replacement is needed. However, it’s very kind of Jeremy to give the connector a look over for you.

If you do decide to purchase a new antenna and bridge, please send an email to support@pilotaware.com and we’ll invoice it to you.

Kind Regards,

Ashley

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 10:33:54 am »
Hi James,

I have successfully repaired one of these for a mate a few months back, and the unit has been in regular use ever since - after re-siting it to a safer location!

In his case the unit (a PAW Classic) had been mounted inside the right-hand knee-hole on a flexwing trike with the antenna end facing towards the pilot and the antenna hanging down. From the damage, it had obviously received a hearty kick from someone’s foot as they got into the aircraft. I had commented previously that this position left the unit susceptible to damage, but being a syndicate aircraft, no-one had taken the initiative to re-site it - and of course none of syndicate members had any knowledge of the unit ever having been kicked.  ::)

In any event, as in your case, this had snapped the antenna off the SMA and ripped the SMA connector off the Bridge - though in his case, two of the ‘Ground pins’ were still attached to the SMA as well as the centre ‘signal’ pin, which - though it meant (as per Ash’s post) that their tracks had been ripped off the board - this at least gave me a physically fairly substantial SMA to re-attach to the board, though I did have to glue then solder the SMA back in place then repair the damaged tracks by bridging the pins back onto solid parts of the track further back on the board. After testing, I then reinforced the fitting by applying a fairly substantial blob of araldite on both sides of the board. As I say, this has been working fine ever since.

In your case however, due to the extent of the damage, the only realistic repair option would be to replace the SMA with a new one, as if you simply try to reattach the broken section it won’t have the required physical strength and will very soon break off again. This may still require some track reinstatement, so almost certainly isn’t a commercially viable repair, so if you are anywhere near Cambridge, or happy to cover the postal costs, I would certainly suggest availing yourself of Jeremy’s extremely kind offer if he is happy to give it a go. He is far more experienced in this area than I am.

Or of course, take up Ash’s offer of a new one.

Best Regards

Peter

jamespratt

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 12:03:56 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies and the kind offer of fixing (JCurtis).

I've attached a few better photos - as far as I can see the 4 ground pins have broken off the SMA connector and 3 remain soldered to the board. The contact surface of the centre signal pin is copper coloured and different in colour to the connector - has this bit been pulled off the PCB? and is it still fixable? If so, I'd be happy to take up JCurtis's offer of giving it ago  - could you PM me your address please?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:08:07 pm by jamespratt »

JCurtis

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 12:08:50 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies and the kind offer of fixing (JCurtis).

I've attached a few better photos - as far as I can see the 4 ground pins have broken off the SMA connector and 3 remain soldered to the board. The contact surface of the centre signal pin is copper coloured and different in colour to the connector - has this bit been pulled off the PCB? and is it still fixable? If so, I'd be happy to take up JCurtis's offer of giving it ago  - could you PM me your address please?

Yes, the centre PIN has pulled the PCB trace off the board - should be able to fix it, happy to give it a go anyway.  I'll send you a PM.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

jamespratt

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 12:13:45 pm »
That's great Jeremy - thanks very much!

JCurtis

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 12:33:17 pm »
That's great Jeremy - thanks very much!

PM sent. 

Lee, I said if James can send the whole unit back I can check the expected RF power output at the SMA connector is about right post repair.  If that isn't possible, any chance of a short term key to test it against a Raspberry Pi I have here?

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 06:09:37 pm »
I had the same thing happen on my Rosetta. Two of the ground tracks came off but two stayed on so I was able to solder to them. The centre pin track came off but I was able to solder a bit of wire to the through plated hole and connect that to my new SMA socket.

JCurtis

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 06:07:45 pm »
Having fixed the Bridge for James (awaiting feedback from test flight, but ground test showed decent power output from it), I will leave this offer here - PAW team disseminate as required...

if anyone else breaks the RF connector off I'll happily have a go a fixing it.

There is a downside, it will cost you a donation to your local air ambulance and the return shipping and the replacement connector.  So £15 inc VAT, plus the donation.  It's better a person does the donation, as then it can be Gift Aided.

jamespratt

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 03:49:24 pm »
yes hopefully fixed - going flying tomorrow so see how it works.

Thanks again Jeremy

Keithvinning

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 05:54:42 pm »
Hi Jerry

Top man

Thanks for the support

Keith

SimonC

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 11:05:29 am »
Found this thread by chance last week and took up Jeremy's offer to repair my broken wireless bridge. Delighted to say that he has been able to repair the SMA connector and because I elected to send the whole unit, he tested it as well. Works fine.

Payment and Air Ambualnce donations have been sent.

Thank you Jeremy for making the offer and a very prompt service.

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 01:53:40 pm »
Well done once again Jeremy, and thanks for letting us know Simon.

Regards

Peter  :)

hughtyrrell

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 11:00:02 pm »
I also had a broken solder joint on my Classic PAW. Sent it to Jeremy, and it has come back working perfectly and by very rapid return of post.

It was tested in the air over the weekend and it works perfectly

Thanks very much Jeremy