Author Topic: METAR feature in latest software??  (Read 6531 times)

Admin

Re: METAR feature in latest software??
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2020, 08:18:04 am »
Hi Paul
Its not our schema, its used by all the metar sites
Here is an example

https://www.aviationweather.gov/metar/help?page=plot

https://www.experimentalaircraft.info/wx/colors-metar-taf.php

http://www.pilotsandweather.com/metarcolors.html

I think the one you are referring to is possibly the military system?
Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 08:22:42 am by Admin »

steveu

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 08:57:07 am »
Hi Steve

Green vfr
Blue mvfr
Red ifr
Lilac lifr

View from paw radar screen, and listing
Thx
Lee

Hi Lee,

Many thanks for this, I really appreciate the continuing evolution, as do the people using the 360Radar ATOM display at my strip.

tnowak

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2020, 10:11:43 am »
The French Meteo website uses the colour scheme Steve mentioned...

Admin

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2020, 11:17:48 am »
just to add to possibilities
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/services/transport/aviation/regulated/faq#faq14

and Also in SkyDemon
Weather bulletins (TAF and METAR) are represented on the main map as green, yellow and red dots symbolising good, marginal and bad conditions for VFR flight

PaulSS

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2020, 03:09:54 pm »
Fair enough and good points, well made  ;D

The one I referred to is the military colour code scheme but that was in force long before Sky Demon etc did their thing. Why THEY re-invented the wheel we'll never know and why the Aviation Briefing Service is different again does add questions but the important thing is your colour codes DO match up with another accepted scheme (including the Frogs.......almost, as they have blue as 'very' VFR), so all is well in the world again. I have to admit I never knew of those other colour schemes but that is my fault. I shall go and self-flagellate as punishment for suggesting you're making things up when they are available and only my ignorance prevented me from knowing about them.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 03:13:37 pm by PaulSS »

steveu

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2020, 03:46:03 pm »
I'm happy with things, got a useful answer quickly which I've passed onto those at the airstrip.

This, along with the names in addition to ICAO codes has transformed the METAR screen for us, so thanks again.

Admin

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2020, 05:21:03 pm »
... I shall go and self-flagellate as punishment for suggesting you're making things up when they are available and only my ignorance prevented me from knowing about them.
Not required - this is not the Flyer Forum  ;D

Winged_Jaguar

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2020, 05:23:11 pm »
Hi Lee,
I like the PAW Radar with airfields and METAR info. Sadly I'm not seeing the same radar screen on the Classic PAW as on your CFG graphic. Am I failing to configure something?
KR's
Chris

exfirepro

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2020, 06:31:22 pm »
Chris,

The METAR Uplink feature has been incorporated into the latest OGN-R Station software for testing,  but isn’t yet viewable on the current ‘Public Release’ PAW software (Version 20190621).

Regards

Peter

Winged_Jaguar

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 06:40:12 pm »
Thanks Peter,
Good to know that more good stuff is in the next PAW release. The METAR certainly looks good in OGN-R. :)
Chris

Moffrestorer

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2020, 11:46:04 am »
Just to further muddy the waters, EasyVFR uses the following colour coding standards which are selectable.

Regards to all,

Chris

Edit: so the colour code posted by PaulSS coincides with the NATO code, unsurprisingly. I confess this is the one I usually use on EVFR to quickly assess the weather around the region.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:54:33 am by Moffrestorer »