Author Topic: Cannot remove Group-ID to Show Transponder Code  (Read 5974 times)

applebyca

Cannot remove Group-ID to Show Transponder Code
« on: December 08, 2019, 11:48:48 am »
On page 35 of the  install guide http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/Latest-Operating-Instructions-.pdf it indicates that the SQ column will show the Transponder coder if the Group-ID is left blank. However, every time I blank the column and save, the Group-ID is reset back to PAWGRP.

The LAA have requested this show the active squawk code from our Trig TT21, but this doesn't appear possible.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

exfirepro

Re: Cannot remove Group-ID to Show Transponder Code
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 12:57:19 pm »
Hi ‘C’,

Those aren’t the latest instructions and ‘Group ID’ has nothing to do with Squawk Code - See page 7 of the current Operating Instructions here for a description of the ‘Group ID’ function.

https://pilotaware.com/Documents/Operating%20Instructions%2020190621.pdf?_t=1561197960

I take it you are trying to see your Squawk on your Traffic Table entry? To see this you will probably need to use a separate PilotAware as ‘Ownship’ no longer seems to appear in the Traffic Screen. See Page 15 of the current Operating Instructions for an explanation of the Table Codes.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Peter

applebyca

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 01:07:55 pm »
Thanks for the information Peter.

I remain confused.

Here is the extract of the email from LAA Engineering on Friday "...The ADSB status must display SIL and SDA set to 0 (third and fifth digits) and the transponder on mode S outputting a squawk code..."

Is the LAA requesting the impossible withe the squawk code?

C.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 02:53:38 pm »
Hi ‘C’,

It used to be possible to see your ‘Ownship’ transmission on your own Traffic Screen, usually at the top, but in my experience this no longer shows.

IIRC the LAA procedure says the confirmatory screenshot should be from a separate PilotAware set up some distance away from your own aircraft.

Regards

Peter

grahambaker

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 03:40:45 pm »
Thanks for the information Peter.

I remain confused.

Here is the extract of the email from LAA Engineering on Friday "...The ADSB status must display SIL and SDA set to 0 (third and fifth digits) and the transponder on mode S outputting a squawk code..."

Is the LAA requesting the impossible withe the squawk code?

C.

It’s the transponder that will supply the squawk, not you manually entering it in PAW.

See below - this is the traffic screen from my PAW a few minutes ago - the top two entries are emitting ADSB and the squawk is shown in the ‘SQ’ column.

applebyca

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 06:10:21 pm »
Thanks Graham.

I spoke with Keith earlier who provided some invaluable knowledge around the topic and it would appear the request from LAA to see my transponder code on the display needs a second referral.

Attached is the readout from another aircraft 100 yards away, indicating ours G-CFTZ at the top.  I guess if there was another PAW in the vicinity it would also read as PAWGRP in the SQ column. If you interpret differently, please shout.

Regards
C.

grahambaker

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 06:47:16 pm »
Aaah, I see.

Lee will have to comment whether the squawk is being overwritten by the PAW unit at the transmit end, or by the browser at the receive end.

There must be a way round it, AIUI plenty of people have done this to validate their ADSB with the LAA (I’m not one of them as I fly certified).

Does your transponder need to be swept by a radar in order to send out the squawk, which would make it appear? [sound of straws being grasped]

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 11:04:04 pm »
Hi 'C' / Graham,

There  has definitely been a change here, though I had to look all the way back through my files to June 2018 to find a screenshot which shows my 'Ownship' with its correct '7000' squawk ( and at that time I was running Engineering sofrtware, not the standard 20180520 Public Release.

It appears that since then something has changed such that if you are running PAW, the SQ shows as the Group ID instead of the ADSB squawk.

I guess Lee needs to have a look at this...

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 12:34:13 am »
Hi all
The issue here is that the aircraft is emitting ADSB and Pilotaware, so this field is used as the paw group code
Nonetheless, I am confused by the LAA requirement, there has never been the need to see the squawk code, only the SIL and SDA, these fields determine the requirement of connecting a non certified GPS
Thx
Lee

grahambaker

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 05:29:15 am »
LAA TL 3.03 definitely refers to seeing a squawk on the PAW traffic screen, yet the screenshot it shows has the squawk as blank on the top line, with the text implying that the aircraft is likely to be the top line!

Perhaps a combination of the PAW Traffic screen shot and a 360Radar/FR24 screen shot might convince them?

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 09:53:17 am »
Hi All,

I have just checked the BMAA Mod and they say virtually the same...

Both LAA and BMAA say the test should be carried out using a separate PilotAware at a safe distance from the aircraft, with engine and all electronics running and in normal operating mode.

Extract from the BMAA Mod TIL.118

Later PilotAware Screen Shown.
ADSB status third and fifth figures should read zero.

- Check that the date, time and position are correct.
- Check that the aircraft being checked is listed (probably at the top) and that it shows the correct
Mode S ‘hex’ code (which can be checked on the CAA’s G-INFO database), registration and squawk code and distance. The ‘SDA’ and ‘SIL’ fields must show ‘0’.

Take a screen print. On Google Chrome for tablets, this can be done by selecting ‘print’ from the drop- down menu and then saving as a PDF. Otherwise, a photo of the screen can be taken. A copy of the screen shot should be included with the submission, making sure that it is clearly legible.

It would seem likely that the detail re date, time, position, Hex and Squawk is to verify that the screenshot is genuine and valid and that the system was working properly at the time, which is not unreasonable, though as with the LAA version, it is interesting to note that the BMAA one also shows the Squawk entry as blank...

Regards

Peter

russp

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 02:18:49 pm »
This seems to me to be a case of confusion between ADSB-out and Pilotaware transmissions. The LAA / BMAA does not actually relate to PAW it simply relates to a transponder squitting ADSB-out. One of the ways to confirm ADSB-out from a transponder (which will include a squawk code) is to use a PAW unit. The pilot aware can be used as the GPS source (or a separate one can be used) for the transponder but it's the transponder output that the LAA / BMAA are interested in and not any output from the pilotaware. The LAA/BMAA/CAA simply don't care what is output on the Pilotaware frequency as it's not an aviation frequency.

The LAA mod in question is for install of ADSB-out. It is not for install/use of a Pilotaware.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 02:25:56 pm by russp »