Author Topic: Unsecured wifi and the problems it causes  (Read 4077 times)

grahambaker

Unsecured wifi and the problems it causes
« on: December 08, 2019, 10:53:30 am »
On more than one occasion I have had my tablet connect inadvertently to a PilotAware unit sitting in someone else's aircraft close by.

Yesterday I was starting up from departure from Leicester. My tablet connected automatically to what I thought was my PAW without me noticing, and I then struggled with it dropping out a couple of times. I ended up flying home with SD in 'Location Services' mode to dodge the problem Fortunately, I also have a smart phone mounted near the screen on which I use SD in 'Traffic' mode which seemed unaffected so at least I wasn't without traffic awareness on my journey home.

Later at home when reviewing the SD logs I noticed a spurious journey, emanating from Leicester Airport and heading directly from the parking area in a bent straight line out eastwards and extending to just outside the ATZ. This was timed at just the point when I was ready to taxi and struggling to get PAW to remain connected to SD.

Putting two and two together this must have been one of the helis next to where we were parked, and to one of whose PAWs my tablet had connected.

Is there any way you can get a message out to the community at large to a) apply a password to their PAW wifi b) set its power to the lowest workable level?

Admin

Re: Unsecured wifi and the problems it causes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 11:03:18 am »
Hi Graham
IIRC you should be able to set your ipad to only connect to “known networks”
In which it should automatically connect to your own Pilotaware when detected
Thx
Lee

grahambaker

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 03:43:59 pm »
That was the first thing I checked - the iPadOS setting is ‘Ask to join new networks’ and it’s toggled on on all my devices.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 04:26:23 pm by GrahamBaker »

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 05:29:14 pm »
Graham,

Remember that if your iPad has ever connected to someone else’s PAW (in my case, for example, when checking something on their device or helping them setup or update their unit), that is then a ‘Known Device’, which my pad will potentially reconnect to again in future (unless I physically ‘select’ that device’s WiFi and tell iOs to ‘Forget This Network’. For this reason, I have got into the habit of always checking my WiFi connection prior before takeoff after moving away from the Clubhouse / Apron .

This is of course easier if you change the SSID in the Network Screen to something easy to notice, like your Aircraft Reg. I presume you are aware, but for the benefit of others reading this, if you do decide to set a password, take care to make it something you won’t forget, as the only way to get back in if you forget the password is via a complete software reinstall, or by establishing a hardwired connection via a router / LAN.

Regards

Peter

grahambaker

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 05:44:28 pm »
Peter,

I can’t believe that I’ve ever connected to a random Leicester based Heli before, ever. I go there once every couple of years.

I also changed my SSID to include my aircraft reg, and secured with a password, from the day I started using PAW.

Thanks for the suggestions though.  :)

BobD

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 09:25:26 am »
Graham, you can use  WiFi Prioritizer on Android to set PAW to connect in preference to all other WiFi hotpots. I am sure there will be a similar App for IOS.

You are then not dependant on others to ensure you have the connection you want.