Author Topic: Data usage  (Read 5518 times)

peter.seddon

Data usage
« on: December 03, 2019, 04:03:52 pm »
Had EGNL up for a few days now and it seems to be using a good bit of data, about 200Mb per day. Is this normal?
Peter S
G-DDLA

Admin

Re: Data usage
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 05:44:21 pm »
Seems a little excessive, does this include an installation download, or just operating.
Interested to know how did you calculate this number ?

a TODO is to add some counters, but its difficult splitting up LAN/WAN traffic counters on eth0

Thx
Lee

peter.seddon

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 08:12:28 pm »
We use 1p mobile and you can get a daily total of data usage from our account and the PI is the only thing connected to it.
Peter S
G-DDLA

peter.seddon

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 09:48:54 am »
Here is a screen shot of the data usage, 30th Nov was the first full day of up time.
Peter S
G-DDLA

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 01:21:08 pm »
Hi Peter,

I am following this with interest as I may have to go down a similar route to install a couple of Ground Stations in more remote locations up here in Scotland.

I can see from the various databases, that EGNL is now running software version 20191202, so it must have run a software update on 2nd December, which would account for the higher data usage on that day. Hopefully things will settle down. Please keep us posted.

Best Regards

Peter R

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 08:46:04 am »
Peter S,

A quick edit to my above post.

Edit: There have in fact been several software revisions over the past few days, which could account for the high data usage on the 30th (updating from the version installed at time of initial setup) and also on the 1st and 2nd December. There was also a further software update released late yesterday (4th December), which I see EGNL hasn’t yet picked up - presumably because it was turned off when I checked yesterday.

As I said above, hopefully things will settle down to a more realistic data level in due course. Please keep us posted.

Regards

Peter R

peter.seddon

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 01:57:14 pm »
We switched the receiver back on this morning and so far it has used just under 10 Mb per hour so it's very data hungry. More info to follow. I don't want to go back to just a flarm only receiver but unless we can find a cheaper solution than the one we have at the moment I will have to for this station.
Peter S
G-DDLA

Admin

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 04:04:43 pm »
We switched the receiver back on this morning and so far it has used just under 10 Mb per hour so it's very data hungry. More info to follow. I don't want to go back to just a flarm only receiver but unless we can find a cheaper solution than the one we have at the moment I will have to for this station.

Hi Peter
at 10MB/hour I work that out as 2.9KB/second
There are a number of interfaces using this internet data including :-
OGN (Flarm side, send only)
OGNR (PilotAware side, send/recv)
MLAT (recv only)

I have monitored the OGNR side (which includes MLAT - and it is pretty small)
I need to generate some concrete numbers for comparison

Its a difficult question - but what would be acceptable ?
I understand you are using a 4G connection, I think I saw unlimited data bundles for around £20/month ?

thx
Lee

peter.seddon

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 06:37:50 pm »
I reset my Router about 70 hours ago and since then on that Ethernet line there has been 10.5 Gb uploaded and 17.3 Gb downloaded which is about 400 Mb per hour but I do have the 360 Radar page active all the time. The info page on port 8081 from the FLARM does give the traffic sent and received and it's about 15 Kb per hour.
Peter S
G-DDLA

Admin

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 07:41:54 pm »
but I do have the 360 Radar page active all the time

Can you disconnect and reset the router to see the new counts ?

peter.seddon

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 10:28:31 pm »
I did that 70 hours ago and that's the figures I got. I'll try and record the totals each day for a few days.
Peter S
G-DDLA

Admin

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 10:33:49 am »
Hi peter

Sorry I wasn’t clear
I meant disconnect the radar web viewer, to see if this is contributing to the large data transfer
Thx
Lee

peter.seddon

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 04:58:30 pm »
I've done a few more checks on mine and it's also using about 10Mb per hour so running 360 radar doesn't add to the traffic. So we are going to have to find a new SIM provider to get the cost down.This normally isn't a problem with a wired system as most ISPs give unlimited data in the broadband package.
Peter S
G-DDLA

steveu

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 05:06:11 pm »