Author Topic: OGN-R 20191101 Not auto installing onto 20191008  (Read 3242 times)

Winged_Jaguar

OGN-R 20191101 Not auto installing onto 20191008
« on: November 03, 2019, 10:26:34 pm »
As at 03-Nov-2019 Currently running OGN-R 20191008. Laster version appears to be reporting as 20191101, This is not auto-installing. There is an error message about a missing file when trying to use the manual update script, Normally this all works as expected, Any thoughts? (system has been restarted).

Last few lines of update script output......

2019-11-03 22:24:30 (1004 KB/s) - ‘/tmp/OGN-PAW.latest.version’ saved [9/9]                                                                                                                                                                 

##################################################                                                                                                                                                                                           
Installed version=20191008 Remote version=20191101                                                                                                                                                                                           
##################################################                                                                                                                                                                                           

Creating Backup Data                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names                                                                                                                                                                                                 
tar: /var_org/lib/zerotier-one: Cannot stat: No such file or directory                                                                                                                                                                       
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors                                                                                                                                                                                     
Bad command return, exiting                             

Admin

Re: OGN-R 20191101 Not auto installing onto 20191008
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 09:56:56 am »
you're far too smart  :o

And absolutely correct. There is an issue with updating, we are trying to determine the easiest method to roll this update out with minimum inconvenience - please stand by, and we should have something in the next couple of days

it will involve some user intervention to login to the PI and run a simple command.
Currently all of the communication between the OGN-R ground station, and central server are un-encrypted over the public internet, we have been working on a Virtual Private Network, and this is what we want to roll out to all machines so that data exchange communications are protected.

News to follow very shortly

Thx
Lee

Winged_Jaguar

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 09:54:05 pm »
Thanks Lee,
Happy to give it a try as soon as it's available.  :)
I'll keep an eye out.
Thx
Chris

Vince

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 10:30:45 pm »
Creating a VPN tunnel from a unit sat on an internal LAN is a security concern as this then gives access to local network. An breach or misuse of the central server would allow the same on all contributors local networks. What assurances will be given that no traffic will be inbound to the OGN-R ground stations? I will need to look at placing my ground stations in a DMZ to protect the computers on my LAN.   
Sign up to Stranded Flyer to assist your fellow aviators in those difficult situations.

www.strandedflyer.net

Admin

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 01:54:48 pm »
@Vince

I think it is always good to be vigilant with any new technology, when bearing in mind the benefits it can bring

Maybe it was an over-simplification calling this a VPN, it is a Secure connection, between our centralized server and the OGNR Client Groundstation's

1. We have secured the traffic in and out of the OGN-R to disable any chance of the data being tampered with - it was previously completely open.

2. Access to the device is, as before, password controlled. Like any computer system or router/modem, not changing the password is a security risk even on a LAN. No-one can access the OGN-R without knowing the password.

3. If the OGN-R administrator would like us to log-in to diagnose/fix any problems, he can temporarily give us a password to allow a log-in.

This will give us great flexibility in maintenance across the network, especially for remote locations

PilotAware Team

Seanhump

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 10:09:05 am »
I just thought I'd check, and one of my OGN setups is stuck on 20191008 too...

Seems to be dropping of the network every night as well …

Let me know if you need anything checking / testing …

Cheers
Pilotaware user ...

Admin

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 08:50:31 pm »
Hi Sean
Sent you an email
Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 08:05:13 am »