Author Topic: PAW Classic not receiving 1090 transponder traffic  (Read 2882 times)

mutley

PAW Classic not receiving 1090 transponder traffic
« on: October 29, 2019, 06:36:10 am »
I have a PAW Classic which has been installed for most of this year and has been working fine. I noticed that I wasn't seeing much traffic and on investigation found out that that connection for the external 1090 antenna had come undone so connected it back up.  I'm still not seeing 1090 transponder transmissions.  I've tried using the standard antenna, have had the box apart to make sure that the connector isn't broken internally, reconnected all of the connectors etc but still nothing.

Any suggestions?

Ian Melville

Re: PAW Classic not receiving 1090 transponder traffic
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 09:41:05 am »
Hi Mutley,
From the home page it looks as if your ADSB dongle is either not plugged in or has gone dead. As you have all four USB ports full, can you confirm that the are all pushed fully in?
Replacements are easy to get, but I am not sure which version is the current flavour of the month.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 03:04:06 pm »
I've had a couple of DVB dongles go U/S, one because of plugging and unplugging the aerial which dislodged the centre pin of the antenna socket - I replaced the socket with an SMA socket and I was using that dongle for some time before it eventually gave out again recently. I have another dongle which seems to have stopped working as well. I don't think the heat build up in the small plastic cases does them much good. The Rosetta should be better in that respect as it takes the plastic cases off them which gives them a bit more air, though I believe the Rosetta comes with the "low power" dongle which doesn't get as hot in the first place. One of the Stratux cases in the US has two fans on it, one for the PI (which we can't use on a PAW due to the bridge board) and one for the dongle compartment, which we may be able to use.

One thing I've noticed is that the recently purchased small dongles I have come with R820T2 tuners rather than the older R820T tuners which were always the norm.

mutley

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 04:24:00 pm »
Hi Ian

Which one is the "ADSB dongle"?  Is that the USB dongle which the shorter of the two antennas plugs in to (mine is just a bare circuit board with a USB plug at one end and an antenna socket at the other).

Paul - my dongle is just a bare circuit board, but will check the centre pin etc.

Thanks to you both for your suggestions

Admin

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 05:22:30 pm »
looks like the ADSB (RTL-SDR) has died if it is indeed plugged in
It is not registering as a device in the USB table

I note you also have an FTDI, are you feeding GPS to a transponder, or driving a glass cockpit with data ?

Thx
Lee

mutley

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 05:53:57 pm »
GPS is being fed to the transponder.

I will check the ADSB dongle tomorrow - I think I might have a spare I can try.  It has been unplugged and plugged back in again since this problem started so I don't think that is the issue but will check.

mutley

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 02:46:16 pm »
Replaced the ADSB dongle and all works now.  Thanks to everyone for the help.