Author Topic: Aircrew Traffic Display  (Read 11164 times)

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
Re: Aircrew Traffic Display
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 10:46:34 am »
Thanks Peter.
Good and factual feedback on what looks like a very useful device.
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

James Rose

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 10:43:02 pm »

The Aircrew device is now in stock - photo from today checking the internal barometer calibration today at 6,000ft on a device from the latest batch.

http://aircrew.co.uk

James Rose

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2020, 07:41:59 am »
For those of you who use the playback tool - you can now press Press the 'a' key on your keyboard and it will open up the Aircrew traffic display to see what it would be like to fly with Aircrew.

You can zoom in and out with the scroll wheel when hovering over the Aircrew instrument. When in flight the traffic screen would rotate to your heading, however for the demo below I have kept the traffic screen north up as the playback map is also north up.

More information about tracks can be found on the PilotAware site: https://pilotaware.com/knowledge-base/tracks/

https://aircrew.co.uk/playback/20510d

https://aircrew.co.uk/playback/6303c5/

DY691

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2020, 04:23:59 pm »
Hello to all
I have just acquired an aircrew module.
the functionning seems to be correct I'm waiting for the final placement in the dashboard to check the horizon function.
I was not able to obtain a correct magnetic heading identification...25 to 30 degrees of error after the calibration.
I have a question in the traffic function I only see adsb devices with no s-mode or c-mode, where are these detected and displayed on the module, if so how?
I am connected by wifi with a rosetta on which I have made all the traffic visible.
Thank you for your help

James Rose

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2020, 06:56:58 pm »
Hi DY691 - did you email the contact@aircrew.co.uk on Friday afternoon? I will get back to you tomorrow.

DY691

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2020, 07:37:55 pm »
Yes it’s me  :)

Sean McDonald

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2023, 02:04:06 pm »
Has anyone got an update on long term use of the Aircrew Instrument? Reliability? I'm interested primarily for powering via PAW (if I have enough ports as have ADSB out) and using it for traffic and as a back up magnetic compass.

TIA

Sean

Ian Melville

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2023, 06:45:34 pm »
I would not reccoment powering through  PAW. It is not difficult to upset a Raspberry Pi by drawing too much current, or voltage drop due to a iffy cable. Powering the Aircrew through it will compound the problem.

Sean McDonald

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2023, 07:11:49 pm »
General usefulness Ian? Are you happy with it?

Ian Melville

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2023, 07:05:25 am »
Yes, very.
I have mine on a RAM mount on the LHS of panel, close to me and easy to read. SkyDemon also has trafffic but due to tablet size is on RHS of panel and it is not as easy to see traffic through the map clutter. PAW is in the centre on top of coaming. PAW and Aircrew each have a small USB powerpack, and iPad mini uses internal battery topped up on the ground if needed from a third larger USB powerpack. There is no electrickery in the aircraft, even radio has it's own 12v gel battery.

Sean McDonald

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2023, 08:49:00 am »
Thanks Ian

Sean McDonald

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2023, 10:43:00 pm »
Are Aircrew still in business? Sent an email enquiry a couple of weeks ago and no response....

JCurtis

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2023, 10:53:26 pm »
The company behind it is dissolved, but the IP and assets may have been sold.

Given the shortage of parts it may have been a victim of that. I have been quoted lead times of 40 weeks plus recently.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 11:00:57 pm by JCurtis »
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Sean McDonald

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2023, 07:37:50 am »
Thanks for that information. Shame

exfirepro

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2023, 12:13:29 pm »
Hi Sean,

I was speaking to James just last week, as a friend, (and because the small heatsink had come adrift off the voltage regulator in my own Aircrew prototype and I wanted to ask what to fix it back on with). I'm sure he won't mind me sharing the following with you.

The company has unfortunately become a victim of the parts shortage I'm afraid, but hasn't been fully shut down as far as I know - just 'mothballed' while James tries to make a living elsewhere and works out where to go from here. A great pity as he was just starting to see sales increase and was at an advanced stage of developing future products when the pandemic came along. Nothing has been sold on to my knowledge, except the Aircrew Track and Groundstation Replay Tools have been taken on by PilotAware. James still holds the IP and whatever other assets for Aircrew and we exchanged ideas about how he might be able to move things forward in future.

On the heatsink issue, BTW, he suggests opening Aircrew (4 small screws to remove the backplate) and checking the integrity of the obvious small black heatsink by applying gentle pressure. If it's loose and you aren't running the unit on 12 volts - simply gently remove the heatsink as the regulator isn't being used, rather than risk the heatsink coming loose in flight and shorting something out. If it's still stuck tight, leave it alone!

James still intends to support existing customers while waiting to see what develops. If you need to contact him urgently, PM me a number and some details and I'll pass it on.

Sorry I can't say more at present.

Peter

« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 12:17:39 pm by exfirepro »