Author Topic: PAW with uAvionix Skyecho 2  (Read 3802 times)

ridders

PAW with uAvionix Skyecho 2
« on: September 29, 2019, 12:00:12 am »
I’ve been a very happy PAW user for a few years now, however I have changed aircraft and now I have no transponder at all. I’ve reconfigured my trusty PAW as per the instructions, as I am no longer Mode S and ADSB out.  However I feel ‘naked’ as my new airframe has no ADSB position output; Apart from other PAW users, no one can see me out there, so I am looking for the simplest solution to get me seen.  That looks to be a SkyEcho 2.

I wonder, what are the settings that one should make to PAW on the config screen, if a SkyEcho 2 is installed in the same airframe (without a transponder)?

The views I express here are entirely my own and are not intended to represent my employer.

exfirepro

Re: PAW with uAvionix Skyecho 2
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 08:47:57 am »
Hi Ridders,

I take it you are talking predominantly about the ‘+Filter’ setting in Mode CS Select? This is designed to filter out ‘Ownship’ responses to Mode C-S interrogations to prevent ‘Ghost Alerts’ from your own transponder. As SkyEcho doesn’t transmit either of these, you can happily run PAW on the Mode CS setting (without the filter). Just make sure you have the correct ICAO Hex ID for your aircraft set in both PAW and SkyEcho, so that PAW filters out your ‘Ownship ADSB’.

My advice would be to use PilotAware as your (multimode) Traffic Receiver and run SkyEcho in parallel as a ‘blind’ ADSB transmitter. Several PAW users already do this successfully.

Best Regards

Peter

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
Re: PAW with uAvionix Skyecho 2
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 09:35:59 am »
HI.
I have SkyEcho 2 installed along with PAW. Both work well.
The combination of use I made was simple.
PAW funcionality is kept standard and provides GPS to SkyDemon.
SE2 is set purely for ADS-B OUT. I could if necessary use SE2 to interact with SkyDemon and especially as I have FLARM subscription to SkyDemon at moment.
I havent used it as the OGN arrangement is working very well in my area of high Glider activity.
Thats my take on it and based around the fact I have a non-Electrical aircraft. Just a 7A LifePO4 Battery Pack drives everything.
Hope that helps.
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England