Author Topic: OGN Latest not installing!  (Read 9793 times)

exfirepro

Re: OGN Latest not installing!
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2020, 01:01:25 pm »
Richard,

Postscript to my previous post. Having looked back at your previous Flarm coverage in the cold light of day (so to speak) - which was obviously accumulated before your station went down in mid July and was mostly south of Blackpool / Warton, I would suggest probably best to just leave things as they now are and let your OGN coverage map build up again with your new installation, rather than changing the names again. The PAW side seems to be carrying on from what you showed before (excellent coverage by the way).

Sorry if I've caused any confusion, hopefully I've at least clarified the point about how the Station Naming system works and about not manually adding the 'PW' prefix to Station Names, which might save others making this mistake in future. If so, it will be time well spent.

Best Regards

Peter

Winged_Jaguar

OGN Latest not installing on Pi3B+
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2021, 02:45:41 pm »
Hi Lee,

I note earlier threads confirming that Pi 3B+ (and 4B) are not yet compatible with the latest OGN (zip install or run) (Version 20201230) or PAW.

The incompatibility with the 3B+ is also my experience so the below is just for information for anyone hitting the same problem.

It took me a bit of time to work out it wasn't the processor/memory card after attempting several new installs (at first suspecting a corrupted memory card).

Just an observation: On a Pi 3B the latest OGN installed build produces a non-fatal error at startup (below) shortly after switch-on (which then goes on to load and run the OGN with no issues). May be similar on PAW too.

/init: line 27: can't create/sys/class/leds/led0/trigger: nonexistent directory
   [     1.346047] brcnfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware version = w10: May 27 2016 00:13:38 Version 7.45.41.26 (r640327) FWID 01-df77e4a7                                                                       
   [     1.362715] brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_reg_notifier: not a ISO3166 code

On the 3B+ if the released zip image is transferred on to a memory card, the 3B+ will not run the OGN Install; it never starts. It will complete the install and load correctly if the memory card is put in a 3B (as one might expect).

If an OGN zip image is installed to the memory card using a 3B and then the memory card is transferred to a 3B+, again the processor simply stops shortly after power-up displaying the square 'rainbow' screen and goes no further.

Question: Is it necessary or desirable to run PAW and OGNR on the B3+ or 4B?? - clearly not; but if one has several other projects using these marvellous processors and one is continuing to buy them it makes sense get later variants as they will be more useful for longer. It is helpful if applications are not too processor specific as one can then choose whatever processor one has to hand to build and test (even though the PAW licencing is processor ID specific).

This is for my current PAW and OGNR ground stations, not a change to my Rosetta (3B).

Keep up the brilliant work; ATOM and Vector are great!
Best regards
Chris

Admin

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2021, 03:59:25 pm »
Thanks Chris

We could port to the 3B+ and 4, but there is much more happening at the moment, so it is currently at the bottom of the stack

Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2021, 04:00:48 pm »
one of the considerations for PAW units is the power consumption. 1. many units are run off a battery with limited capacity to make them portable 2. There are too many issue with inadequate power supplies and cables. upping the power drain compounds this problem.

I do find the USC-C power connector on to RPi 4 attractive.

rhine

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2021, 08:18:17 pm »
Just for completeness of this thread. PWMOSSEDG is running a Pi 3

cat /proc/device-tree/model gives ....

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

exfirepro

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2021, 02:06:27 pm »
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the update. It seems to be doing the trick.

Best Regards

Peter