Author Topic: OGN Latest not installing!  (Read 9642 times)

Wadoadi

OGN Latest not installing!
« on: September 27, 2019, 05:30:29 pm »
Hi,
while this could be me, I have install a lot of PI's but could still be the hardware or SD card, but I have tried a Pi 2b+ and a Pi 3 and 2 different Micro SD cards.

Download image taken from http://pilotaware.lode.co.uk/downloads/OGN/PilotAware-OGN.latest.zip

Files unzipped and contents of folder copied to root of the formated 8Gb SD card

Power light comes on but the SD access light remains off.

Is it the image or do I have 2 dead pi's or SD cards?

SDs format ok with the SD formatter.

Thanks

Adi
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 05:33:33 pm by Wadoadi »

Keithvinning

Re: OGN Latest not installing!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 08:28:17 pm »
Hi Adi

I have just downloaded the latest OGN image on a reformatted card (full overwrite)
It unpacked in 10 minutes and I was able to log onto the configuration files  so all OK

http://pilotaware.lode.co.uk/downloads/OGN/PilotAware-OGN.latest.zip

I suggest it is the Pi or SD card which is the problem, not the SW.

If you attach a monitor to the Pi via HDMI cable you will be able to watch it unpack or not as the case may be.

Cheers

Keith
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 08:30:29 pm by Keithvinning »

Ian Melville

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:49:02 pm »
Do you also need to allow time for it to unpack? It is a while since I built an OGN station.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 10:18:14 pm »
Hi Ian,

Yes, it needs to partition the card and unpack the software in the same way as a normal fresh PilotAware install, which can take about 20 minutes or so, then it has to run the setup. My concern would be why Adi says there is no sign of the SD light during this process, though it can show briefly then not be visible for fairly long periods while the partitioning is going on. If interrupted during that process that can of course corrupt the card.

Adi,

Have you checked that the cards are Full Overwrite formatted, with Size Adjustment ‘On’ and that the end result is a FAT32 formatted card? My guess would be some sort of corruption during unpacking and transferring the software to the microSD card or during the subsequent install. I agree with Keith - the best way to see what is going on is to attach a monitor via the HDMI port and follow progress on-screen.

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 08:39:36 am by exfirepro »

Wadoadi

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 11:42:55 pm »
hi all,
    thanks for your input I left it installing while I went out for 4hours and on my return, I plugged an HDMI cable in, it was stuck at the noobs selector screen. Selecting pilot aware shows the pilotaware box and then reboots back to the same screen!

I will try again tomorrow with some other hardware

Buster lite installed without issue on the same pi and mem card after without issue!

Mem card is only 8Gb does it require a 16Gb?

Keithvinning

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 06:00:43 pm »
Hi Adi
No it will work on 4Gb

Keith

Admin

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 09:37:26 am »
Something is wrong, it should have auto installed, no need to select any options

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 11:36:42 am »
Hi Adi,

What type of machine are you using to run SDFormatter? I have had reports of people having difficulty trying to reformat cards on an iMac, though others seem to manage this fine.

It would be worth trying a fresh download and then loading it onto a fully reformatted card again. Check before copying the files across that the card has reformatted to FAT32 and see if this helps. As Keith & Lee have both said, once you put the card into a RP the card should unpack and boot itself automatically over a 10-20 minute period to the point where you can run the configure script. It is however well worth attaching a monitor and watching progress from when you first power up the Pi to see if it sticks anywhere, though it normally all goes fine.

Regards

Peter

Wadoadi

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 07:38:20 pm »
Thanks for all your suggestions, finally found the issue and have the image installed!

The issue was that my power supply was shutting down intermittently! I assume as the CPU switches up and draws more power, however plugging it into a battery or the other power supply and all works normally, the power supply has been consigned to the bin!

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 10:09:49 pm »
Hi Adi,

Glad to hear you have got it working. The infamous PilotAware power supply issue strikes again! Well spotted and thanks for letting us know.

Best Regards

Peter

rhine

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 06:31:44 pm »
An old thread I know, and have seen that my power supply might be the problem so have ordered a pukka Pi item. I have the same red power light on but no green select light when I boot the Pi, and wondering if this is just a problem during the 'initialise' process. I have had a station running fine on my hardware but scared failed so trying to rebuild. I am ok to be patient and wait for the new power supply to arrive, but if anyone can tell me what the base OS might be, then I can do the `curl -s https://pilotaware.lode.co.uk/ogn_install.sh | bash` and hope that this gets me going. Am i right? Maybe there is an ISO of the built system somewhere?

If this is the way it has to be, then sorry for the bother and I will be patient, but if there are options here then am all ears.

Congratulations Keith (and team) on the OBE! Well deserved.

Thanks, Richard

Admin

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 09:19:52 pm »
hi Richard
there is a document here
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,974.msg11851.html#msg11851

The document has the link to the download, I don't post it here in case it moves ;-)
The document is the golden reference

Thx
Lee

rhine

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 01:24:16 pm »
Thanks Lee, that is the very document that I have been using, and I get the same problem as documented @ http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1742.0.html by Wadoadi.

I have just taken delivery of a pukka Pi power supply from the PiHut and still have the same problem with different cards on different Pi3B+ chassis. Is this just me? Do you have an IMG file that we can use rather than the 'self install and configure' in http://pilotaware.lode.co.uk/downloads/OGN/PilotAware-OGN.latest.zip?

If not, then will try some other sd / chassis combinations. Thanks again

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 03:43:35 pm »
Hi Richard,

Just noticed you say you are... ‘still having the problem with your new power supply on a Pi3B+ chassis’. That could be the problem.

We know the ATOM software runs on a Pi3B - this was developed to allow network connectivity by WiFi - and I just set one up on a Pi3B a few days ago. I did ask Lee at that time if the ATOM software will run on a Pi3B+ but it appears that none of us have tried it. (Remember it was developed to run on the Pi2B).

I have a 3B+ sitting here so will try it and report back shortly.

Best Regards

rhine

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 04:05:10 pm »
OK - just plugged in a monitor - (should have done this before) and there was an outstanding GUI prompt asking me which OS I wanted to install - choice of 1. Added a USB mouse to the Pi, selected the OS, then selected 'install' and off we go ..... looks like we are not honouring 'recovery.cmdline' and it's `uninstaller quiet ramdisk_size=32768 root=/dev/ram0 init=/init vt.cur_default=1 elevator=deadline silentinstall`. Looks like my power supply was not the problem, and the single blink of the green light at the start was enough to read from the sd card enough to put up the 'which OS?' prompt.

Anyone have any ideas please? Thanks