Author Topic: External GPS  (Read 4676 times)

PaulRuskin

External GPS
« on: September 26, 2019, 09:36:41 am »
I'm looking at how to put a PilotAware in a certified aircraft.

To stay legal, at the moment I think it needs to be a 'temporary' installation.  Because there's not much room up front, I'm thinking of putting it down the back, and having external PAW and ADSB blade antennas. [Then by unplugging it, it can come out - hence temporary].

My problem is the GPS.  Can anyone help on how I can get a good GPS signal to the PilotAware?

- I could run a cable and mount the USB GPS on the coaming, but it's not very neat.
- I could put the USB GPS on the side of the back window - but again not very neat, and not a great view of the sky
- really I need a GPS to feed the PilotAware that can use an external antenna, or has an external mounting.
- or a GPS that I could put on the coaming that doesn't need a wire.

Anyone have any solutions?

Paul

PaulSS

Re: External GPS
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 10:55:40 am »
How about running the USB cable up behind the panel and keeping the GPS underneath the coaming i.e just underneath the surface, with a view to the sky. I have no intention of having GPS pucks on the coaming and plan on putting all three ( ::) ) beneath it so they can't be seen.

There are, of course, plenty of GPS receivers that will talk to devices over Bluetooth but I have no idea if the Bluetooth of the PAW Pi3B is able to get its information from such a  source. I think that would also mean your Bluetooth would not be available for aural warnings to the headset etc if your use that function.

mariko

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 11:51:30 am »
I don't think a BT GPS is a good solution. It needs its own power source (cable and adapter) and needs to be started everytime you have to use it.
Ciao
  Mariko

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 12:37:53 pm »
Hi guys,

I agree with Mariko, I would avoid using Bluetooth GPS and keep the PAW Bluetooth for Audio Warnings (pretty sure it won’t work for GPS-In anyway).

Remember that you can only put your GPS under the coaming if it (they @PaulSS ::)) will still have a clear view of the sky - i.e. the coaming can’t be metal or carbon fibre (plastics or glass fibre  - e.g. a flexwing pod - are fine). You also need to mount it (them) ‘right side up’ so the GPS antenna isn’t hidden under its own circuit board.

Regards

Peter

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 02:18:47 pm »
For the GPS Dongle use USB extension cable running to cockpit coaming from installed PAW.
I've done that and its always picked up plenty of satellites.
My cable is about 1 metre.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-EXTENSION-CABLE-USB2-0-LEAD-A-male-to-A-female-1-8metres/163857801251?hash=item2626afa023:g:MmUAAOSwz9xdeRtg
£1.99
Plenty of lengths on eBay and Amazon.
Regards
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

PaulSS

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 03:48:57 pm »
Remember that you can only put your GPS under the coaming if it (they @PaulSS ::)) will still have a clear view of the sky

Yep, got that one in hand. I'm not just a pretty face  ;D