Author Topic: Data consumption  (Read 9416 times)

JCurtis

Re: Data consumption
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2021, 08:05:11 am »
Unfortunately this method does not discriminate between data destined for LAN or WAN addresses on eth0
You have to run tcpdump on the eth0 interface, exclude traffic sent to the LAN, and count the data

Thx
Lee

Yes, I put that caveat in the above post. It should exclude any internal data via the loop back port though.  A worst case data set is probably better than no data or educated guesses.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

neilmurg

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2021, 08:29:27 am »
Challenge accepted

steveu

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2021, 10:55:09 am »
Unfortunately this method does not discriminate between data destined for LAN or WAN addresses on eth0
You have to run tcpdump on the eth0 interface, exclude traffic sent to the LAN, and count the data

No one has been at the strip to fly, and neither the kiosk Pi nor access to the VRS has been used during lockdown, would you expect there to be a big difference between WAN/LAN in this case??

The LAN traffic would be a worse case scenario, with WAN traffic lower, so as a worst case, it covers the data requirement for a mobile broadband connection.

According to which and dpkg, tcpdump is not installed, so at that point, I defer to you and Keith and I stay away from apt-get to add it.

In order to avoid anything non standard on the ATOM, is it worth us asking nicely for a batch file that can be run to give simple data reports for you to lift via your secure network? Or have you already got this?

I'd possibly suggest a batch file running from cron/at for two days midweek, and another over the weekend, that would store the two numbers (RX/TX) in a file. Or alternatively, a weekly/monthly report to send to the station maintainer. The first avoids a processing overhead all the time.

If you are going to terminal, then you need to learn (for those who haven't) to pipe the output of a command to more or grep

Code: [Select]
pi@ognpaw:~ $ dpkg -l | more
or

dpkg -l | grep tcp
more means you only get one screen full until you press the space bar for the next screen.

grep takes the output of your command and filters it against the string specified after grep.

Admin

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2021, 03:59:02 pm »
There is a dedicated network for the traffic that is sent over the GRID
this is on the interface ztmfcr5xhu - this will indicate exactly what has been sent to/from the grid

Of course there is also traffic being sent to the OGN servers, which is sent over the WAN interface which we do not control

looking at my own interfaces

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr
          RX packets:1399083 errors:0 dropped:337 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1665028 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:209033288 (199.3 MiB)  TX bytes:623734832 (594.8 MiB)

ztmfcr5xhu Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 0e:5c:be:62:ea:54
          RX packets:202265 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:622153 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:28895487 (27.5 MiB)  TX bytes:61981272 (59.1 MiB)

In my environment there is about 10X more traffic on the local network
don't forget that the interface will report broadcasts and multicasts, which may / may not be destined for this interface.

Thx
Lee

steveu

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2021, 02:23:53 pm »
Just to keep this thread alive with the distinction Lee made for us:

eth0     
          Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr b8:27:eb:76:db:9c                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
          RX packets:2379890 errors:0 dropped:1172 overruns:0 frame:0                                                                                                                     
          TX packets:4620696 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0                                                                                                                     
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000                                                                                                                                                   
          RX bytes:660552702 (629.9 MiB)  TX bytes:1232397832 (1.1 GiB)

ztmfcr5xhu
          Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 0e:72:51:23:62:c6                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
          RX packets:976389 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0                                                                                                                         
          TX packets:241374 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0                                                                                                                       
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000                                                                                                                                                   
          RX bytes:146525442 (139.7 MiB)  TX bytes:55246748 (52.6 MiB)

We're sending a lot to the OGN.

As this is a 6 day period, I would multiply by 5 for 30 days, and get about 5.5GB.

Were I on a mobile broadband tariff, I'd go for about 10GB, and keep an eye on it as traffic density is still very low.