Author Topic: Trying to update.  (Read 5145 times)

peter.seddon

Trying to update.
« on: September 12, 2019, 01:19:54 pm »
My station, Morecambe, is currently running 20180802 and is stable and working fine.. (maybe the aerials need upgrading though). I have tried to install the latest software and it seems to install and run but I can't see any data on the 8080, 8081 and 8082 ports, also using a keyboard and monitor plugged into the PI I don't seem to be able to see data on 50000,50001 and 50002, the commands don't seem to work.
Questions
1. Do I need to enable SSH?
2. Why does the command "$ sudo /root/mount rw.bash" not work.
3. Is ther any way to retrieve my password to the old system.

All help would be appreciated.
Peter S
G-DDLA
Peter S
G-DDLA

Admin

Re: Trying to update.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 02:48:41 pm »
Hi Peter

Please explain the exact set of steps you have gone through to get to the point you are at right now.
What I really want to know, did you start from a clean formatted disk and install the full ZIP package, and which ZIP package ?

Thx
Lee

peter.seddon

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 04:06:03 pm »
I downloaded the zip file from   
http://pilotaware.lode.co.uk/downloads/OGN/PilotAware-OGN.latest.zip, it did not look like the file name in the instructions as it did not have a revision number but just had PilotAware-OGN.latest.zip.
It has Sat 10 Aug 10:10:07 BST 2019 in the release text file.
I then unzipped the contents onto a 16GB SD card which I had formatted with SDFormatter V4.0. The SD card contents looked like they should i.e. three directories and files.
Connected a screen and keyboard to the PI and inserted the SD card and switched the PI on.
I already had the necessary input data from the previous version to put into the new system.
After startup I was prompted for the information gathered above and the installation carried on normally to the end.
I them looked on spot the gliders for my receiver and it was showing as green i.e. active.
I then tried to look at the data being sent to OGN on DHCP address port 8081 on my network and all I kept getting was access denied.
I Could log into the PI using Putty. as PI and the password I had created but I could not see any information when attempting to use localhost 50000, 1 2 etc.
Peter S
G-DDLA

Admin

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 05:36:39 pm »
Hi Peter,
OK, to be clear

Firstly you had logged in and ran the script
PilotAware-OGN.config.sh

and to get further information

1. login to Pi, and type one of the following commands

# information from the ogn-rf process
$ nc localhost 50000

# information from the ogn-decode process
$ nc localhost 50001

# information from the pilotaware process
$ nc localhost 50002

are you saying none of these commands provide any output ?

can you check if the processes are running

$ ps -eaf | grep procServ

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 05:40:35 pm by Admin »

peter.seddon

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 06:03:34 pm »
Correct, non of them worked.
I'll try again tomorrow with a new download and install.
Peter S
G-DDLA

peter.seddon

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 10:57:08 am »
OK I've done a new download and install and I now have FLARM data on 8080 and 8081 but no PW data on 8082 nor can I get any of the data on the local screen from 50000, 50001 or 50002. When I type in the commands from the keyboard I  -bash error. tried rebooting still no PW data. but data is coming through from port 80.
Peter S
G-DDLA

Ian Melville

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 04:09:11 pm »
Probably a bit academic these days, but it’s not a good idea to publish your phone number on a form open to all read. P

Admin

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 06:12:36 pm »
None of this makes sense at all.
When you run the configure script for initial setup - does that go through OK ?

Thx
Lee

peter.seddon

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 12:34:11 pm »
After several attempt I've finally managed to get the new software to load and run. I find though that it is not as stable as the older revision as it keeps dropping the connection to the APRS server for FLARM, but at least I can now get the new Firbank system up and running and also a temporary system at EGNL when the gliding club is active. I've noticed that I can see a few aircraft on port 80 using MLAT though I don't have the second SDR fitted.
Peter S
G-DDLA

Moffrestorer

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 01:31:53 pm »
Peter,

I believe the MLAT contacts are received by the PAW OGN-R software from Radar360 over the Internet connection for retransmission to any PAW aircraft within range of your groundstation. Hence you don’t need the second SDR unless you want to receive 1090 MHz signal direct for a Virtual Radar set-up.

Thx,

Chris

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 02:13:48 pm »
Peter,

I believe the MLAT contacts are received by the PAW OGN-R software from Radar360 over the Internet connection for retransmission to any PAW aircraft within range of your groundstation. Hence you don’t need the second SDR unless you want to receive 1090 MHz signal direct for a Virtual Radar set-up.

Thx,

Chris

Correct Chris,

Though we do encourage fitting the full setup to supply 1090 data to 360Radar, especially in areas where 360Radar coverage (and hence MLAT triangulation) is poor.

Regards

Peter R

Admin

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 03:27:59 pm »
After several attempt I've finally managed to get the new software to load and run. I find though that it is not as stable as the older revision as it keeps dropping the connection to the APRS server for FLARM,

Hi Peter,
the ogn-rf and ogn-decode programs are un-modified, this is still the 0.2.6 release, so this is unrelated to any modifications we make to the Pilotaware side. So the APRS interface (for FLARM) from ogn-decode, cannot be affected by any recent update.

I noticed your earlier comment about data on port 8082, this now appears on the standard port 80, so all you need to do is go to

http://ognpaw.local

or if your router is blocking mdns

http://<ip-address-of-ognpaw>

thx
Lee

peter.seddon

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 12:00:26 pm »
Thanks Lee, yes I finally worked it out after reading the instructions again, I found that the instructions for advanced user has a couple of errors. the following is an extract.
For Advanced users
The disk image is operated in a safe mode, which means it cannot normally be over written
In order to gain write access type.
$ sudo /root/mount rw.bash
To write protect type.
$ sudo /root/mount ro.bash

The instructions should read
$ sudo /root/mount_w.bash and
$ sudo /root/mount_ro.bash

This confused me for a while too.
Peter S
G-DDLA

Admin

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 12:43:51 pm »
@peter.seddon

Hi Peter
I am sorry I am totally confused from your last post.

The instructions should read
$ sudo /root/mount_w.bash and

This is not correct, the commands are
$ sudo /root/mount_rw.bash and

Thanks Lee, yes I finally worked it out after reading the instructions again
I am unclear what it was that you worked out ?

What was it that you needed write access to perform, my understanding was you had done the following:-
1. installed the latest release (onto a formatted SD card) from a ZIP installer
2. re-run PilotAware-OGN.config.bash to re-enter your groundstation details

I cannot see where you went wrong in these 2 steps, or where you needed to modify the disk from ro -> rw ?
Could you elaborate each of the steps you have taken so we can understand if there is an underlying problem ?

Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 01:11:53 pm »