Author Topic: Raspberry PI 3  (Read 6414 times)

Steevo25

Raspberry PI 3
« on: September 07, 2019, 09:17:12 pm »
Hi All,

Just a very quick question. Is it still the case that PilotAware runs on a raspberry PI 3 B but NOT the raspberry PI 3 B plus?

Many thanks in advance.

brinzlee

Re: Raspberry PI 3
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 08:10:05 am »
The Raspberry Pi 3B+ works on the latest software

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 08:49:42 am »
Hi Steve,

I can confirm Brinzlee’s report - the latest (20190621) version of PAW runs fine on the Raspberry Pi 3B+ as well as the Pi3B and older Pi2B Classics. 20190621 does however require a full new install on a fresh or fully reformatted FAT32 microSD card and if changing your board, you will need to get Ash (support@pilotaware.com) to transfer your licence to the new Pi. To do this, he needs the 12 digit MAC addresses of the old (licensed) PAW and the new RPi.

Regards

Peter

rodent0_2

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 03:10:28 pm »
Anyone know if it works with the Pi 4 as stated above there is a shortage of Pi3B, also presuming the classic bridge board still works with the 3.

Cheers

Nick.
Nick

Aircreation Tanarg G-CHFT

Admin

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 05:39:36 pm »
Anyone know if it works with the Pi 4 as stated above there is a shortage of Pi3B, also presuming the classic bridge board still works with the 3.
Cheers
Nick.

Hi Nick
2B, 3B, 3B+

Where is the information about a shortage ?
Quick search and found nearly 4000 here
https://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/raspberrypi3-modb-1gb/sbc-raspberry-pi-3-model-b-1gb/dp/SC14012

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 05:41:47 pm by Admin »

rodent0_2

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 07:13:19 pm »
RS back order until sometime 2020, didn't look at farnell but did find some at the Pi hut. Thanks.
Nick

Admin

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 07:17:03 pm »
RS back order until sometime 2020, didn't look at farnell but did find some at the Pi hut. Thanks.

Hi Nick
btw we are running a soak test to reproduce your problem, we ran soak tests previously and all worked correctly- will update shortly
Thx
Lee

rodent0_2

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 07:31:56 pm »
Cheers Lee, if all else fails I'll update to a new Pi, on board wifi has to be a bonus I would think.

Nick
Nick

Admin

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 10:16:58 pm »
Ok so we ran for 3 hours- no issues
We have rebooted all and no problems again
This is running with ios

Will try to test with an android device later

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 11:22:05 pm »
Hi Nick / Lee,

Bearing in mind that it’s an original classic, could it not just be that the WiFi dongle has run its course and is becoming unreliable - and that the change of software is purely coincidental.

Are there any other symptoms, or anything showing on the Home Screen?

Regards

Peter

rodent0_2

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 07:56:40 am »
No, no other issues, I have put the original card back in and all is ok, as it ran for an hour and ten after Lee's sugestion further up the thread I havnt given up just yet, I'll run the new software the next time I fly and give it another go, looking at the weather this could be a week or two..
Nick

rodent0_2

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 10:03:13 am »
"could it not just be that the Wi-Fi dongle has run its course and is becoming unreliable" take your point, but I have the same Wi-Fi dongle running in a pi connected to my router at home transmitting weather data to the net, this has been running for 3 years at least and is online 24/7 365 says something for the reliability of these devices. The one in my aircraft has only done a fraction of the hours admittedly it is in a damp hangar.
Nick

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 01:07:13 pm »
Hi Nick,

Point taken. I also still have a couple of pre-Classic home-built units running on their original WiFi dongles, so they can have a very long and useful life. I have, however, also come across a small number of older Classics where either the WiFi itself has packed in, or in a couple cases the SDR has gone down and resultant overheating or RFI has swamped the WiFi (and in at least one case the gps as well). Whilst the incidence of this is low, it’s always worth bearing in mind as a possibility.

Best Regards

Peter