Author Topic: OGN/R coverage map  (Read 7489 times)

Ian Melville

OGN/R coverage map
« on: September 04, 2019, 10:35:54 pm »
Is there a way to display this?
OGNRange fails to do this if you use the PW% string. Pretty sure it used to work.

Cheers

Winged_Jaguar

Re: OGN/R coverage map
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 06:48:55 pm »
Hi Ian,

It seems to work if you edit the % into the URL eg. http://ognrange.onglide.com/#PWR%,max,all,51.68450_-1.24500,9,#00990000:#009900ff,circles;

This lists the three sites starting with PWR ie Redhill, Radley and RhiwFaw

Hope this helps

BW
Chris

Ian Melville

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 07:47:42 am »
Hi Chris,
I was trying to capture a coverage map of the UK, with PW%. The result is always incomplete. It is better if you restrict the date range, which leads me to think it cannot handle the volume of info.

Cheers
Ian

SGS66

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 05:26:54 pm »
The situation is not satisfactory. I flew from Dunkeswell to Shoreham Thursday and only noted two uplink stations at Dunkeswell and Bembridge (IOW) working. But I only know this from Aircrew playback. Can we do something better than relying on this poor old OGN website ? Then we would know what the coverage really is for Gliders and MLAT data.

iain

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 06:13:20 pm »
There is another OGN map -

https://ognrange.newacecorp.com/?#pw%,max,all,53.70935_-2.39299,8,#008000ff:#00ff00ff,circles;

or a heat map on https://www.gliderradar.com

but with gliderradar.com you have to select each ground station and then select coverage

SGS66

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 09:36:50 am »
Iain,
Thanks for that.
Phil

Keithvinning

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 06:04:42 pm »
The situation is not satisfactory. I flew from Dunkeswell to Shoreham Thursday and only noted two uplink stations at Dunkeswell and Bembridge (IOW) working. But I only know this from Aircrew playback. Can we do something better than relying on this poor old OGN website ? Then we would know what the coverage really is for Gliders and MLAT data.

Depends on your route from Dunkeswell to Shoreham
There are not a lot of sites on that route
Dunkeswell obviously, Hendstridge, Bembridge and Hadfold
There is one planned foe Chichester but not yet active
Any offers

Keith

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 11:43:10 am »
Is there a way to display this?
OGNRange fails to do this if you use the PW% string. Pretty sure it used to work.

Cheers

Hi Ian,

Don’t know if you resolved this. I’ve just tried it on Angel Casado’s Range Tool...  https://ognrange.glidernet.org/?#PW%,max,recent,53.06433_-0.61981,8.881106156677134,#000000ff:#000000ff,circles; ...and it works fine - even on my iPad, though a bit slow filling in the whole of the UK and you need to get the zoom level right.

Regards

Peter

SGS66

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 10:16:41 pm »
Flew over Selsey today and saw  there is a PWSelsey. It does not seem to have been up until recently but very glad to see it on the South Coast. Coverage extends over Shoreham. First noticed it on gliderradar.com a couple of days ago. Well done to the owner.

Ian Melville

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 07:37:52 am »
Sadly not resolved Pete.
I tried your link and only got partial coverage (see attached). I left it fifteen minutes with no change, in case it was just slow. I also tried it on my iPad and got almost identical coverage. As long as I did not zoom too far out the level of zoom makes no difference.

Browsers, tried Edge, Chrome and Firefox. Caches cleared. I even tried my iPad over 4G, a different ISP, and there was no change. What I see is not exactly the same on each browser, but very close.

SGS66

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 02:28:53 pm »
If one uses Gliderradar and selects a PW stn and then selects  coverage - what is depicted ? All PAW traffic seen ? Over what period ? Any help appreciated.

Ian Melville

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 04:58:10 pm »
The period is selectable but the max is the last 24hrs. It's a right pain having to select all the PW stations and display coverage. you can use the filter PW* to show the stations

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 05:11:07 pm »
Hi SGS66,

When you click on an individual Station on GliderRADAR (www.gliderradar.com), a pop up box appears showing the date range - e.g. 20/05/2019 20:34:29 - 03/10/2019 16:55:12 , for which the coverage is then reported when you click on the coverage button in the bottom right of the pop up box.

If you use https://ognrange.glidernet.org (or any of the similar ogn range tools) you can select a desired station e.g. Abcde (to see FLARM coverage) or PWAbcde to see the equivalent PilotAware coverage), select ‘Go To’,  then select the ‘When’ option to see the cumulative range from  your selected period, between ‘Today’ and ‘Since 31/03/2015 ,for each station over the time period specified.

Regards

Peter

SGS66

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 09:14:08 pm »
Peter,
Thanks for your reply.
If you take a look at PWselsey, and check the coverage it seems to pick up individual flights as in places there are dotted lines but my flights Oct 2,  Shoreham to Lee on Solent and run are nowhere to be seen ?
Brgds

Phil (SGS66)

exfirepro

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 10:40:10 am »
Hi again Phil,

Are you talking about reporting on ognrange or gliderRADAR? Did you take any screenshots yesterday to show the coverage (or lack thereof) ?

From a quick analysis of the coverage reported on ognrange, I take it Selsey hasn’t been operational for long?

Unfortunately, I didn’t check ognrange last night - which would have allowed me to use the ‘Yesterday’ filter for your 2nd October flights - as I have only just seen your post, so now only have the option of the ‘Last 7 days’ filter. I also obviously don’t know exactly what route you took. There is, however, certainly clear evidence of PAW traffic between Shoreham and Portsmouth / I.O.W. over the last 7 days, though nothing showing going directly into / out of Lee-on-Solent from the Shoreham direction. This could of course simply be a gap in Selsey’s local coverage due to local topographical blocking - especially at low level as you descended into / climbed out of Lee-on-Solent - or due to physical blocking of your PAW signal between your Rosetta antennas and the Selsey receiver by your aircraft engine / bodywork, pilot /passenger, fuel tanks, etc.

I‘m not familiar with GliderRADAR, so can’t speak for their coverage results (which seem to be reporting for the period 28/09/2019 06:39:06 - 04/10/2019 10:19:37) but they certainly seem to be reporting far less PW traffic than is visible over the last 7 days on ognrange.

Regards

Peter