Author Topic: GPS input  (Read 2238 times)

peter.seddon

GPS input
« on: October 12, 2019, 11:17:22 am »
Is anyone working on adding a GPS input so that a mobile unit is possible. The reason I ask is because at Walney EGNL we can set up shop at any of the three runway intersections. At the moment it is programmed for the centre of the airfield so there will be an error between the programmed and actual position of the receiver.  This could be up to 500 mtrs.
Peter S
G-DDLA

Ian Melville

Re: GPS input
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 11:25:38 am »
If it is a fixed number of and location for each position, could it be scripted on boot-up?

The actual method is above my pay grade, but I would have thought that may be easier than adding GPS?

Admin

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 11:56:28 am »
as Ian says it is setup on boot, because when logging into the APRS servers the position is given.

For Rebroadcast purposes the most important thing is the GEOID, because this is used by FLARM for altitude
so getting this wrong means that altitudes are broadcast incorrectly

can I ask a more fundamental question - why do you need to move the groundstations ?

the bigger issue I guess is for the MLAT feed if you are capturing that to go back to 360Radar ?

thx
Lee

peter.seddon

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 02:46:14 pm »
This is primarily a station to log FLARM flights from Walney with Pilot Aware added as a bonus. If you look at the layout for Walney airfield from Google Earth, you will see that there are three runways forming a triangle. Depending on the wind direction we can use any of the six runway directions. The location of the receiver will be on the mobile control tower caravan which can be at any end of the runway intersections, hence the 500 mtr error in position. This station will be a backup the UKBRW which iis on a hill some 3 km away so that all takeoffs and landings will be logged on Ktrax.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 02:49:30 pm by peter.seddon »
Peter S
G-DDLA