Author Topic: A really weird one, PAW grabbed traffic and held it.  (Read 18985 times)

Admin

Re: A really weird one, PAW grabbed traffic and held it.
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2019, 11:36:30 am »
Firstly, thanks for all the reports on this issue, especially everyone's persistence!

We have found a small issue when rebroadcasting MLAT that is causing this problem, unrelated to the data itself, and even when Mode-S/3D is disabled in PilotAware.

So we are going to disable MLAT rebroadcast for a short time, whilst we rollout a fix to the network.

Thx
Lee

GeoffreyC

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2019, 01:54:00 pm »
There's definitely a pattern of this issue because it happened to me today from Lee on Solent back to Sandy.   In the circuit I noticed that GAWPW was above and behind me, but ‘stuck’ a constant distance behind, and apparently flying backwards!
I will go back and see if there is a trace file on my plane, but when I looked after landing there didn't appear to be.

Geoffrey
Went back to the airfield today and checked my PAW to see if there was a trace file from that flight,  and as after I landed, it wasn't available.   I did check the trace from the previous flight just in case it had been merged in,  but it hadn't.

Hopefully the issue Lee has found with Mlat broadcasts applies to me as well.

Thanks Lee for looking into this

Geoffrey

rogellis

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2019, 06:15:10 pm »

just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there  :-[

Indeed, I regularly have the same problem with TCAS
     - but I presume that TCAS is doing its job properly....!

RE

rogellis

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2019, 12:46:35 pm »

just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there  :-[

Another problem is the lack of icon differentiation on the various displays.  You are looking for an aircraft, when the contact might actually be a white (flarm) glider on a white background.  And gliders are notoriously difficult to spot.

I did suggest more differentiation of aircraft icons, to both PAW and SD, but there is not too much progress on that.   I see SD differentiates between aircraft and helicopters, which is a start.

RE

GeoffreyC

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2019, 08:47:21 pm »
Quote from: rogellis link=topic=1718.msg18956#msg18956 date=

Another problem is the lack of icon differentiation on the various displays.  You are looking for an aircraft, when the contact might actually be a white (flarm) glider on a white background. 

I did suggest more differentiation of aircraft icons, to both PAW and SD, but there is not too much progress on that.   I see SD differentiates between aircraft and helicopters, which is a start.

RE
SD shows different icons for different plane types.

A friend of mine configured his PAW with an aircraft type of bigjet- faithfully reproduced on screen as we flew together.

Geoffrey