Author Topic: Connecting Funke transponer to pilotaware  (Read 3255 times)

richardg

Connecting Funke transponer to pilotaware
« on: August 31, 2019, 04:09:17 pm »
I have just had my engineer connect the Funke transponder to pilot aware but does anyone know how to set up the transponder as the ADS B doesn’t seem to work?

Ian Melville

Re: Connecting Funke transponer to pilotaware
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 07:19:11 pm »
What is the firmware version of your Funke? There are known issues.

richardg

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 06:55:07 am »
Thanks for your reply

scsirob

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 10:54:03 am »
Your engineer should check if the Funke transponder is set up for NMEA input (described in the Funke manual), and that the PAW is hard configured to send 4800 baud on the serial link (default is auto-baud, this will not work)

richardg

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 12:40:35 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

I went into the transponder setup and NMEA is set and PAW is set at 4800

Best

Richard

Ian Melville

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 08:56:48 am »
Thanks, Richard IIRC that firmware version is OK
Can you post the exact details of the USB-Serial cable and how it is wired to the Funk connector?

AdrianW

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 12:21:29 pm »
Richard; when you say its not working, how are you assessing that? I have just been thru this and by the test required using a 2nd PAW it seemed my funke was not transmiting the ADSB as that wasn't picked up by the 2nd PAW. However, it is working as I flew over my nearest ADSB test airfield (Goodwood) and they confirmed receiving ok, as did solent Radar. So the BMAA put my on to Adrian Garner who has developed a software programme to independantly test the transmission. You can get this via his website at getyourwings.co.uk. I haven't run this yet but hope to do so later this week.
As long as you have set up your funke as per their manual and you have set the correct usb port in your PAW to know its a funke with the 4800 baud rate then saved your funke set up by exiting, switching off. then go into the 'show setup' screens and cycling thru to (I think) the 3rd screen it should show that its getting position info from the gps source. As long as its getting that then it will be transmitting. Do make sure you are using the Farnell usb-rs232 cable and that its wired into the funke rs232 cables corerectly, exactly as per the funke manual.
I'd be interested to hear how you get on. I do have a contact at funke, who is very helpful, if you want it but I doubt you will find its the funke thats the problem.

richardg

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 02:45:02 am »
Thank you for your reply Adrian

I flew up from South France yesterday and a couple of my friends were unable to to pick me up on FlightRadar24 until just south of Jersey. Will be flying to south coast of uk today and will ask Solent Radar.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 12:56:02 pm »
France isn't well stocked with FR24 receivers.

I was at a friend's house near Bordeaux yesterday and he was saying that, it was difficult trying to track people, especially those without ADS-B as it's rare to reach enough sites for multilateration. He's considering putting in a receiver at his house.

On the plus side, a few British aeroplanes were flying around France yesterday with PilotAware. I saw one which flew close to me. ATC called out myself as traffic to him (I wasn't talking to ATC) and he said he had me on his traffic screen. :D

richardg

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 01:28:55 pm »
I spoke with Plymouth military today and he had ever heard of ADS B! However on arrogate at Lee on Solent I had time to spare and found one of the baud rates was it at 4800. Haveset this so will report on next sector!

richardg

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 10:15:15 am »
Updated Pilotaware to version 20190621 and reconfigured and now ADS B working well