Author Topic: Keeep Losing Signal  (Read 2864 times)

turkeysneck

Keeep Losing Signal
« on: August 16, 2019, 10:12:23 pm »
I'm having problems, all of a sudden it loses gp signal, then a few seconds later it comes back on. It seems to have got worse, to the point I can no longer use it. I presume the cause is the gps mouse. Am I right ?

Admin

Re: Keeep Losing Signal
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 10:13:55 pm »
Please post the home and configure pages
Also are you ipad android
Easyvfr skydemon

turkeysneck

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 10:23:53 pm »
Ipad user.
Daft question but how do I post the config pages while it's losing signal.

turkeysneck

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 10:33:46 pm »
Forgot to mention, using Skydemon.

Admin

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 02:32:52 am »
Hi
You said its losing gos signal ?

Is it actually losing gps signal or wifi signal ?
Are you experiencing a wifi hotspot connection problem, or a problem with the application (skydemon)

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 09:19:34 am »
Hi Lee,

Unless Darren has changed his setup since last month, this is a PAW Classic presumably still running 20180520 with a fairly recent version of SkyDemon (it has the anti-collision algorithms) on an iPad mini 4 in a flexwing.

I suspect this is a recurrence of the Connectivity problem Darren has been having on and off since he started using his Classic and which you thought you had ‘fixed’ at Popham back in 2017 by replacing Darren’s WiFi dongle - though you subsequently reported that you had test run the ‘faulty’ dongle and could find no fault (hence by implication there may still be another issue).

In particular, I refer you to my last post in the thread...

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1671.msg18212.html#msg18212  ...a month ago,

to which I received no reply.

Darren,

In order to deal with your current issue, we need replies to the questions I asked in that thread as there are several unanswered queries which could have a significant impact on what is going on with your unit / setup.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 09:28:39 pm by exfirepro »

turkeysneck

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 08:22:44 pm »
OK I've it's lost all connection now, I've managed to get a picture of the page hopefully this will show what's going on.
Since the wifi dongle was changed at Popham it worked perfectly since. All of a sudden it started losing what looked to me like GPS signal now it has lost it all together.
I don't think to two issues are related.

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 10:28:15 pm »
Hi Darren,

Thanks for the screenshots. Whilst not necessarily the case, the two issues could be related.

GPS ‘Unavailable’ indicates that your GPS dongle is either missing (which it presumably isn’t) or has stopped working. Without a working GPS your unit can’t get a GPS fix, which in turn prevents your P3I transmitter from transmitting (hence the Red TRX Warning light).

The unit is also showing a Red Warning for Pressure Altitude, which could indicate a ‘Bridge’ problem (e.g. the Bridge has become dislodged inside the case) or it might just be that the unit hasn’t been running long enough to establish a definitive altitude setting.

Taken together with the previous loss of WiFi back in 2017 and the fact that the dongle replaced by Lee didn’t show a fault on subsequent test, however, followed by very limited use of your PAW in the interim and now the failure of the GPS unit could all be symptoms of a faulty (overheating) 1090MHz SDR Receiver dongle, which might have presented back in 2017 as an unreliable WiFi connection. This is not an uncommon phenomenon with some older PAW Classic Units.

Unfortunately the only way to be sure would be to run a full soak test on your unit or return it to PilotAware Support for testing.

I’ll cover the ‘Settings’ and FTDI issues over in the other thread.

Regards

Peter

turkeysneck

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 10:30:07 pm »
Ah Ok thanks for that, perhaps I should just upgrade to the new model.

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 10:47:38 pm »
Hi Darren,

Probably a good idea!

Provided your Pi and Bridge are still working, you would still be eligible for the Rosetta Upgrade ‘Trade-In Deal’ even if the dongles are defective.

Regards

Peter

turkeysneck

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 11:17:16 pm »
OK thanks.