Author Topic: CONNECTING TO DEVICE  (Read 3393 times)

skyboy999

CONNECTING TO DEVICE
« on: August 14, 2019, 03:54:39 pm »
I have classic unit powered by 'Charge2' with GPS mouse, running latest PAW version. I run SD on an iPad mini 4 IOS 12.3.1. I also have serial connection to a Dynon Skyview.

For a while now, I was getting this message intermittently. Assuming there was a problem with the GPS dongle, I purchased a GPS mouse from PAW but, unfortunately, this did not improve things. I also recently upgraded to latest version but, again, no difference. If anything, the problem has got worse over time and now it is the norm, rather than the exception, to get the 'Connecting to device' message when selecting go fly>use Pilotaware. FWIW, traffic shows fine on the Skyview so, fundamentally, PAW seems to be working ok although I don't think GPS is required for this as it just streams traffic supplied locations?

Any advice appreciated. Also, is it possible to find out which/how many satellites are visible/connected? I have seen this functionality on other GPS devices but can't see if this available from PAW?

Paul_Sengupta

Re: CONNECTING TO DEVICE
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 04:12:36 pm »
It's on the front page of the built in web page, 192.168.1.1.

Admin

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 04:22:58 pm »
by latest version I presume 20190621 - this time next year this will not be the 'latest' version  ;)

20190621 introduced an Auto mechanism for the UDP data.
Depending upon what data you expect (PilotAware, GDL90 or Flarm)
can you change this setting from Auto to your requirement on the configure page

Connecting device (on SD) usually means a data connection issue, not a GPS quality issue
can you post the Home Page of your PilotAware ?

thx
Lee

skyboy999

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 09:35:35 am »
Thanks for replies. I can confirm I am using version 20190621; also that I had set Device Connect Setting to PilotAware (UDP) after reviewing other posts, so neither of these alleviates my problem.
I checked again yesterday and (sods law) without changing anything, it worked great every time I tried it!
At least I now know where to look for GPS information so can check this when next the issue materialises but if, as you say, it is likely a data connection issue rather than GPS, what else should I be looking for/trying? My device show no issues connecting to the PAW SSID but I suppose that only shows connection and not the quality of information being sent? As aside, I have no problem if I connect to my other (Dynon) wifi/GPS source- could this imply the PAW wifi dongle is iffy?

JCurtis

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 10:47:57 am »
If there are two WiFi hotspots, I wonder if they are on the same channel.  The PAW WiFi power is set quite low, and could be swamped if the Dynon WiFi is much higher power.

Just a thought.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 12:06:02 pm »
the Home page will report the satellite fix
this information is also stored into the track file

Raven22

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 07:23:24 pm »
I have the same set up as you do.  I suspect JCurtis is on the right lines. Your iPad is probably connecting to the Dynon WiFi by default.  So selecting “use Pilotaware” on your iPad won’t have any effect as you will not be on the PAW network.  I suggest you go into “settings" on your IPad and “forget” the Dynon network.  You should then make sure that you have the PAW network as the default. (Assuming you are out of range of any other network, including your mobile phone)
It’s not GPS cos your Dynon has it all ok.. It’s your network connection I think.

skyboy999

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 09:49:52 am »
No, iPad definitely connected to PAW- checked this first when failed to connect. However, I do wonder about the respective Wi-fi strengths. Would it help to increase the configurable power parameter?

rogerabc

CONNECTING TO DEVICE
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 07:52:26 pm »
This problem has recurred for me since iOS14 update & I attach settings screenshots.
iPad browser connects to the PAW but not Skydemon.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Roger

Admin

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 08:04:36 pm »
Hi Roger,

Please read here
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1901.0.html

This is a SkyDemon/iOS14 issue
Also logged on the SkyDemon forum

thx