Author Topic: SDR Dongles  (Read 2466 times)

bnmont

SDR Dongles
« on: August 26, 2019, 08:41:32 am »
My site PWEverton doesnt seem to be getting any glider traffic. It used to have great reception. No gliders for last 60 days according to the Onglide Range site.
The SDR is hot to touch. Whats the latest thinking on SDR's, the current one is a Nooelec NESDR SMArt v4 SDR - Premium RTL-SDR w/ Aluminum Enclosure, 0.5PPM TCXO, SMA Input. RTL2832U & R820T2-Based Software Defined Radio ( well thats what it looks like and says nooelec on the side)

I am also getting the latest software installed and need another sdr for the MLAT.
Whats the best cost effective solution. Whats the most reliable to use?
thanks Brian.

Admin

Re: SDR Dongles
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 10:42:09 am »
Hi Brian
How is your antenna constructed ?
Long usb cable to sdr mounted at antenna, or
Long coax from sdr to antenna

There have been a few sdr’s mounted up an antenna pole, which have suffered water ingress

Thx
Lee

bnmont

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:53:16 am »
Hi Lee,
My Pi and SDR are located inside my office , no chance of water ingress!

Regards Brian

Admin

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 11:28:58 am »
Ok, install the new software and run the install script, see if it recognises the sdr
Thx
Lee

bnmont

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 06:10:52 pm »
Hi Lee,
I have had a look at the antenna, one coax joint wet and corroded so despite best efforts it has got wet!
Hopefully not the SDR after all.

Brian

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 08:07:01 pm »
Hi Brian,

I have been using a NooElec NESDRSmart for OGN Receive on PWBalerno since I first set it up 2 years ago - or rather I have been using two, as the first one ‘died’ (as far as I know from natural causes) about 18 months in (about a year ago). Definitely no water involved as the unit and antennas are still in my loft - note to self: it’s high time you moved the antennas outside!  :-\  :-[

The second one is still working AFAIK...

Current thinking is to use standard PilotAware low-power dongles (as used in Rosetta) for both OGN and 1090MHz receive.

Regards

Peter