Author Topic: How can I tell if MLAT is working?  (Read 4047 times)

mutley

How can I tell if MLAT is working?
« on: November 12, 2019, 12:01:27 pm »
I'm based at an airfield with an OGN-R station (Popham) but still see more bearingless traffic than I would expect and not a huge amount of traffic with a location.

I'm using Pilotaware "Classic" with the latest software and Skydemon.

How can I check whether I am receiving OGN-R / MLAT traffic?

Thanks

Steve

exfirepro

Re: How can I tell if MLAT is working?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 01:38:00 pm »
Hi Steve,

You can check by logging into the PilotAware Traffic Screen via 192.168.1.1. This will show any MLAT traffic being uplinked to your aircraft.

There are several reasons why this may not happen, including:-

MLAT can only be provided if the aircraft is within range of at least 4 x 360Radar receiving sites (these need not be OGN-R sites).

MLAT is not currently rebroadcast for aircraft above 12,000ft.

MLAT is not currently rebroadcast for aircraft further than 15Km from your own aircraft.

MLAT is not currently rebroadcast for aircraft which are fitted with PilotAware as you should already be getting positional reports via their PilotAware.

Remember, this system is still being rolled out across the country and development/improvements are ongoing based on reports and data from the system.

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 03:42:55 pm by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 09:19:22 pm »
MLAT is not currently rebroadcast for aircraft which are fitted with PilotAware as you should already be getting positional reports via their PilotAware.
Or flarm
Also, you will still receive ModeC bearingless

mutley

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 06:20:11 pm »
Thanks - will check the traffic screen to see what I'm receiving.

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 08:49:06 pm »
Steve,

I also noticed today when I checked twice on a couple of the websites, that the Popham Ground Station wasn’t showing - perhaps it was down for some reason. You won’t of course get MLAT if your local Ground Station isn’t working, so check that you have ‘Display Ground Stations’ enabled on the PAW Configure Screen (remember to save any changes you make). This will allow you to see on screen (SD or whatever) when you are within range of an active Ground Station(s).

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Peter

tnowak

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 08:44:28 am »
Steve,

I am also based at Popham and, a few months ago, was checking some "anomalies" with aircraft not being detected by 360radar.
I was surprised to find out that 360radar MLAT coverage isn't that great in the Popham area unless aircraft are higher than, iirc, 1800-2000 ft.
Phil (from 360radar) sent me some receiver coverage maps to show the issue.

This winter I may set up a 360radar receiver at home to improve coverage for the Popham area.
Tony

Admin

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 12:32:34 pm »
This winter I may set up a 360radar receiver at home to improve coverage for the Popham area.

Hi Tony
If you setup a full OGN-R Station (OGN, FLARM, PILOTAWARE, ADSB) - this will feed the data to 360Radar network, both contributing and receiving data

Also, if you do this, you will of course get the PI and Bridge donated by us  :)

Thx
Lee

tnowak

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 07:54:21 am »
Tell me more!!!
Can the OGN-R station communicate by wifi to my home router?
I would want to fit the equipment in my garage loft, so the antenna has good coverage, but no cabled internet there.
Tony

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 09:49:33 am »
Hi Tony,

Take a look over in the OGN-R PilotAware section of the Forum.

By far the majority of current OGN-R Stations currently run via Ethernet, though at least one of our group (Paul Sengupta) has managed to get one of his running on WiFi by using a Raspberry Pi3 as the baseboard and adapting the code to suit. If you have a look at this thread....

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1760.msg19012.html#msg19012

...you will see that Lee is working to add Paul’s code to the standard setup, which should make this much easier for others to do.

If you are interested in setting up an OGN-R, why not drop an email to Keith & Ash Vinning at ogn@pilotaware.com They manage the project and will be able to help get you started.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:59:40 am by exfirepro »

rogellis

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 06:12:14 pm »
I installed and ADSB antenna on our OGN station at the Mynd.  How do I find out if it is working.?

Also, using the standard ‘radar’ depiction on an iPad, what do the Mlat aircraft icons look like?
Do you have a screen-grab? 

Roger.

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 09:54:37 am »
Hi Rog,

The only way I know to tell if the 1090 feed is working is to connect to your OGN station locally, via its IP address or via 'ognpawlocal' - I suggest using a laptop (see * later).

Once connected you will see the OGN-R Status Page, with tabs to link to various other screens.

You now need to login to the Pi itself, using the login pi and your set password (or the default 12345678 if no password has yet been set). Once you have done so, you will see the prompt... pi@ognpaw:~$

Now you need to change directory by typing cd rtlsdr-ogn {enter}

You will now have the prompt... pi@ognpaw:~/rtlsdr-ogn $

Now type nc localhost 30003 {enter}

You should now see a stream of data being sent off to Radar 360 (assuming there is 1090 traffic within range).

* To exit the stream on screen - (not to Radar 360) you are supposed to type ^C - but I must admit I can't get this to happen from my iPad, hence why I suggest using a laptop where the alternative 'Ctrl C' typed together does work and returns you to...

pi@ognpaw:~/rtlsdr-ogn $

Finally simply type exit {enter} to disconnect the login session.

p.s. If anyone can tell me how to get ^C to work from an iPad I would appreciate it.

When using PAW RADAR, the main difference in depiction of MLAT traffic is that the Radar screen shows 'Ambiguity Circles' as pink discs around MLAT aircraft, (a larger circle indicates a higher potential for position inaccuracy), though this is only visible where the aircraft's potential positional inaccuracy is IIRC greater than 0.2Km  - I would need to ask Lee to confirm the figure.

Where MLAT data is NOT available - e.g. due to lack of 1090 receiver station coverage, or where the conditions in my earlier post above ^^^^^^ aren’t met, the system automatically reverts to reporting these aircraft as bearingless targets.

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:03:59 am by exfirepro »