Author Topic: Power Outage / UPS/ Possible solution  (Read 6974 times)

Andrew330

Power Outage / UPS/ Possible solution
« on: August 10, 2019, 04:25:35 pm »
I have a PAW Rosetta 'semi' installed with internal antenna kit and powered through a charge4 unit (permanently installed, not via a lighter socket) and using the original USB cable.

Despite all this, the PAW does occasionally reboot. I suspect this is power related as it occurs during low RPM (taxing, finals etc), this then causes SD to disconnect. I have never seen the LED on the charge4 change but then I have never been looking at it at the precise time the PAW rebooted. I know its rebooting as I get the young lady saying 'pilot aware'. The aircraft has a lot of electrical equipment so I can understand that the voltage my just drop too low for short periods.

I have read many post on this subject on the forum about battery back up etc without any conclusive solution. I have found this product which I believe may be the solution:

https://juice4halt.com/products

Would this fit inside the Rosetta case?
Can the script be added to the PAW software?

Looking forward to your comments / suggestions, I am happy to buy one and test if the developers think it suitable

Andrew

JCurtis

Re: Power Outage / UPS/ Possible solution
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 04:55:31 pm »
A Charge4 will turn off ports 2 & 4 (bottom two) if the voltage gets down to ~10.15v and will turn the power off to all ports at ~9.9v.  When it switches the ports off it will flash the lights on these ports to indicate this.  Even at low RPM I would be surprised if the voltage was that low, but I guess it's possible.

I can tweak the software to reduce these if needed, and have in the past turned it off totally for some if they are happy that they may trip the breaker feeding the Charge4 if it's supplying several things at full power.  The unit will switch off totally below ~7v.

Does anything else in the Charge4 also reboot / lose power at the same time?

Do you have multiple track log files with created dates/times around the time you believe it is rebooting, this will show the PAW is actually rebooting.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Andrew330

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 05:04:33 pm »
Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for the quick reply, The PAW unit is plugged into the lower left socket. On at least two occasions, I know it was the only thing plugged into the charge4, The most it has ever had plugged in is the PAW and an iPad4

(Would I be better using the top ports?)

The PAW is in the aircraft but I will retrieve it tomorrow and get the logs

Great unit BTW

Thanks
Andrew

(would still like comments on the UPS solution)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 05:13:24 pm by Andrew330 »

JCurtis

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 05:13:36 pm »
Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for the quick reply, The PAW unit is plugged into the lower left socket. On at least two occasions, I know it was the only thing plugged into the charge4, The most it has ever had plugged in is the PAW and an iPad4

The PAW is in the aircraft but I will retrieve it tomorrow and get the logs

Great unit BTW

Thanks
Andrew

(would still like comments on the UPS solution)

Plug the PAW into one of the top sockets, 1 or 3, that may solve it if it is actually rebooting.  Note the Charge4 applies power in order, so port 1 comes on first so probably best to have the PAW in that.

You shouldn't need a UPS for the PAW unless you need to ride through starting the engine, if the voltage is that low with the engine running something else is going on. 
*edit* do you have a high power landing light, that is on during taxi / finals?  That can suck quite a chunk of power, but even so the voltage shouldn't get down that low.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 05:15:07 pm by JCurtis »
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Andrew330

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 05:20:42 pm »
Hi
PAW / Charge4 only powers up with the avionics master switch which is not on until after engine start. We do have landing lights, they are LED units so should be less than standard bulbs but may be connected with the problem

I will use port 1 and see how that works

Thanks
Andrew

Andrew330

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 06:17:38 pm »
Hi Jeremy,
I have the track log files but cannot upload here due to type / size. I can put on drop box?
Thanks
Andrew

JCurtis

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 06:20:57 pm »
I don't need the logs, but check the date and time on them.  One is generated per power cycle, so if there is only one with a date/time covering your flight then it didn't reboot.  If it did reboot, there would be a second, or more, file(s) started each time it powered up.

So for the last flight where you had problems, how many track log files are there for that day, and do the timing look to be about right if more than one, or when you think it rebooted?

Andrew330

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 07:34:56 pm »
Hi Jeremy,
Please see attached, the flight outlined in black, rebooted while taxing, the red and blue towards the end of the flight, both on the downwind leg (these are the ones I am sure about)
Thanks
Andrew

JCurtis

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 07:47:04 pm »
OK, so those are reboots.  Anything different about the 6 and 9 August when it only booted up the once?

Be interesting to see is this goes away when using port 1 on the Charge4.  If it does, then your voltage must be really low during those phases, I take it no low voltage light comes on? 

It also may be worth checking the ground connection on the Charge4 power lead, an iffy ground would also trip the low voltage signal. 

Admin

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 09:42:22 am »
What version of PilotAware are you running ?
If there is a voltage issue detected, it is notified on the STATUS line on the home page
Assuming it is not so bad it causes a reboot.

Andrew330

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 07:40:50 pm »
Running the latest version of software, I assume you have to be looking at the status at the exact point of failure?

Andrew330

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 05:02:35 pm »
OK, so those are reboots.  Anything different about the 6 and 9 August when it only booted up the once?
Hi Jeremy,
6/8/19, single flight, no problems
7/8/19, I rebooted a couple of times as we were getting interference on the radio and wanted to eliminate PAW as the source
9/8/19, rebooted on finals, but I did not 'Go Flying' again in SD and I think it only creates logs if you actually fly? (Have done several starts at home and no logs are created)

I am wondering if you are onto something with the landing lights (even though they are LED's). The aircraft is in use by another user for the next two weeks but as soon as I get the chance I will test both using the #1 port on the charge4 and using the landing lights
Many thanks for your interest

Ian Melville

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 05:35:00 pm »
SD only creates logs when you ‘Go Flying’. PAW creates logs whenever it is running.

Andrew330

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 05:41:27 pm »
OK, so I have powered up PAW on my desk maybe six times or more since bringing it home, no new logs? (Not using SD, just the browser from my PC)

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 05:49:17 pm »
Did it get a GPS signal?