Author Topic: Mode C query  (Read 3272 times)

GEAR

Mode C query
« on: August 08, 2019, 12:05:16 pm »
When PilotAware detects a mode C transmission it will initially flag the signal as a bearingless target.  If the aircraft transmitting that mode c signal is equipped with Pilotaware it will also transmit a PAW signal.  Does that mean that the receiving PAW hardware will identify the target both as bearingless and as a "known" target via its PAW transmission?  Just curious to better understand how the system works.

Admin

Re: Mode C query
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 01:27:00 pm »
Yes it will, tThere is no way to associate a Mode-C with a PilotAware

We can associate a Mode-C with a Mode-S, so there is no double reporting if the transponder is also S/ES capable.

Thx
Lee

GEAR

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 04:27:31 pm »
thanks for the clarification.

dave_kent

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 01:06:50 pm »
My plane only has mode C at the moment, so when I fly I assume therefore I am transmitting two signals, the mode c and PAW, so I fit the scenario described above?

Does this also explain why I see a red circle around my plane in SD, even though I've put the hex code in the PAW config?

Dave

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 01:22:06 pm »
Dave, can you post a screen shot of your config page?

Admin

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 03:03:14 pm »
My plane only has mode C at the moment, so when I fly I assume therefore I am transmitting two signals, the mode c and PAW, so I fit the scenario described above?

Does this also explain why I see a red circle around my plane in SD, even though I've put the hex code in the PAW config?

As Ian says, the devil is in the detail, and we need to see your configure page to assess the settings
After this, we may ask for track files which contain detailed diagnostic information

Thx
Lee

dave_kent

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 06:03:18 pm »
Apologies I haven't been around.  Attached is the screen shot as requested.  I am flying tomorrow afternoon so will give it another go then.  If you can, let me know if I need to tweak any settings before I go.

Thanks!
Dave
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 06:05:57 pm by dave_kent »

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 06:52:51 pm »
Hi Dave,

Are you saying you still get the red ring with version 20190621?

Your settings certainly look fine to me. Unfortunately the Hex Code doesn’t work as a filter for Pure Mode C - as Pure Mode C transponders don’t transmit the Hex Code. Instead, the system has to use some very fancy filtering to determine the strongest received signal and then confirm (by watching for any variation in certain parameters) whether or not this is from your ‘Own Mode C’ transponder or from a ‘threat’ aircraft. A considerable amount of work was done by Lee to improve Mode C filtering for the new 20190621 release, so if the system is working correctly, you shouldn’t still be getting the red ring round your own aircraft.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 08:06:39 pm »
Yes we need a track file from Pilotaware to investigate further
Thx
Lee

dave_kent

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 05:05:36 pm »
Unfortunately they've just put a mode S in that plane, so no good for the test.  I've booked the mode C plane for 7 Sep and will report back.

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 07:47:24 pm »
Dave,

Do you have the PilotAware track file from your last flight in the Mode C Aircraft where you were seeing the red circles? If so, that should provide the data Lee needs.

Regards

Peter