Author Topic: MLAT and EasyVFR  (Read 6894 times)

exfirepro

Re: MLAT and EasyVFR
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 09:32:01 am »
Hi Ian / Trevor / Lee,

Now I’m confused.

Ian - AFAIU EasyVFR still shows the ‘ambiguity circles’. They were only turned off by SkyDemon.

Trevor - The 3 concentric coloured rings Ian is referring to are SkyDemon’s way of showing Bearingless targets ‘on screen’. On SkyDemon, they start as a large green ring when the target reaches the first threat trigger point, then progress through smaller Amber and red rings as the threat increases, in the same way as EasyVFR does using the coloured warning banners and AIUI, you also still get these Bearingless alerts when using GDL90 (which SkyDemon Users don’t).

We SD users have had to make a choice of using GDL90 if we want to see MLAT or FLARM (TCP) / PilotAware (UDP) connectivity if we want to see Bearingless target rings.

My confusion arises from Lee’s post. Lee are you saying that we can now get MLAT on PilotAware UDP as well as the Bearingless target rings on SkyDemon? If so, that’s a new one on me.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 09:47:41 am »
Regarding smaragd post, the documentation is missing the details about MLAT, we need to fix that, this is the definitive statement

GDL90
includes MLAT and NACp figure to derive ambiguity circles
EasyVFR will use the NACp figure, SD will discard these figures

PilotAware (UDP)
includes MLAT, but no way (no syntax) to describe NACp, therefore no ambiguity circles
EasyVFR and SD will display traffic, no ambiguity circles

Flarm (TCP)
Currently contains no MLAT data, this will probably be added in the next version

Hope that clears any confusion, it will be added to the documentation

Thx
Lee

Smaragd

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 10:16:23 am »
Ah! So presumably on EVFR I need to select Menu, Nav Settings, GDL90 settings - then what?

Moffrestorer

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 11:23:24 am »
Hi Trevor,

EVFR has pre-populated GDL90 settings; IP address 0.0.0.0; Port 4000; UDP

So select “Use GDL90” and maybe  turn to “ON” Use GDL 90 GPS (PAW) as EVFR GPS.

However when trying it I suspect I may still had “Use Flarm” in Flarm settings enabled. It seems that it allows you to simultaneously use both protocols, so make sure you deselect Flarm before enabling GDL90!

Thx,

Chris

Smaragd

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 01:49:22 pm »
Many thanks Chris, done that, will try it out on Saturday.

Smaragd

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 05:31:32 pm »
One query to the experts: before, with USE FLARM selected (and no to use GPS), opening EVFR would eventually give me a GPS fix caption, then when PAW was ready a FLARM caption - so I knew PAW was feeding data to EVFR. Now I've changed to GDL90 and am running it at home with PAW out of range in the aircraft, and I'm getting GPS Fix and GDL90 captions. What's the GDL90 caption telling me - clearly not that PAW is working at the moment? And when I get back to the aircraft is there anything that can tell me that data is actually being fed from the PAW to EVFR?

Admin

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2019, 07:15:34 pm »
If using gdl90, select gdl90 as the protocol on the paw configure page
Rather than auto
Thx
Lee

Smaragd

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 09:25:15 pm »
Thanks again Lee.

Smaragd

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2019, 04:32:17 pm »
If using gdl90, select gdl90 as the protocol on the paw configure page
Rather than auto
Thx
Lee
Hi Lee, an inconclusive result from my flight yesterday - mainly due to a scarcity of aircraft flying around! However a colleague has just loaded the latest software on his PAW and uses SD not EVFR; does he also need to select gdl90 as the protocol on the paw configure page? And is there any setting on SD that needs to change with this new software compared to the previous version?

Admin

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2019, 04:37:07 pm »
For SD connect using PilotAware

Smaragd

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 08:47:01 pm »
Hi Lee,  a rather long break since my last post, largely due to weather. and a lack of traffic when I have been flying. However I flew today and for the first time saw an MLAT target with ambiguity circle, on EVFR, so my settings are now correct. Thanks for your help.

Trevor

Admin

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 09:06:08 pm »
Hi Trevor

good news - thanks for the update

Thx
Lee