Author Topic: MLAT and EasyVFR  (Read 6886 times)

Smaragd

MLAT and EasyVFR
« on: July 22, 2019, 10:07:58 pm »
HI,

Have been using the latest software for a couple of weeks with EasyVFR; was disappointed that I hadn't detected any MLAT targets. Made a longer flight today from Bath to Rugby and noticed that a few MLAT targets appeared on the traffic page, and audio warnings were given, but no target was displayed on EVFR. Disappointingly not even a bearingless Mode-S (presumably because it's no longer bearingless),though other non-MLAT bearingless Mode-S targets were displayed.

Am I missing something simple?

exfirepro

Re: MLAT and EasyVFR
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 08:01:53 am »
Hi Trevor,

I take it you have enabled Mode-S/3D in your PAW Configure Screen? It is ‘off’ by default and that part of the Configure Screen doesn’t appear until after you have entered and saved your licence key.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 08:06:25 am by exfirepro »

PaulSS

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 08:29:07 am »
..........having read the terms & conditions first, of course  ;D

Admin

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 09:40:06 am »
Hi smaragd

If you let me have your HEXID I can check whether you were seen by the groundstations
next is to get a track file and look at contents

I will email you direct ...

PilotAware Team

Smaragd

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 09:58:17 am »
G-DENS, HexID 40263C

Admin

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 10:18:20 am »
Seen by the following stations

Code: [Select]
      1 PWEGHS
      1 PWTruthe
      7 PWEGLM
    177 PWNewbury
    364 PWBath
    551 PWCalneW
   1077 PWKemble
   1586 PWSHIREN

Please confirm you have enabled Mode-S/3D on the configure page

PilotAware Team

Smaragd

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 02:10:52 pm »
Thanks Lee. I believe I have, but will triple check when I next get to the aircraft (Saturday).

AlanG

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 03:28:22 pm »
Hi Smaragd

Can I ask if you are using EVFR3.xxx or are you Beta testing EV4.  I ask because so far in EV4 it does not display the aircraft Icons on the map. There is only the tiny centre circle from the Icon but the text does display and change colour correctly and even shows the ambiguity rings.
I have reported this to Rob Weijers but he's still too busy with all the major work on implementing the various elements of the new software.  He did respond to me and here is a quote from that email.

Quote:To be honest I have no clue at all yet, and I haven't been able to dig into this yet. Part of the problem is of course its so difficult for me to test, since there is no way for me to get such a MLAT datafeed to my system.

So my plan is to somewhere in the future write a little data-traffic capture capability in EV4, and then ask you to capture some data for me. But to be honest that won't be before august, :EndQuote

I haven't noticed any problems with my regular copy of EVFR3.

Alan

Smaragd

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 05:08:33 pm »
I'm using EVFR 3.97, so that's not the problem.

Admin

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 05:31:26 pm »
Hi smaragd
Let us step back to the original post so we can understand the thought process.....
was disappointed that I hadn't detected any MLAT targets. Made a longer flight today from Bath to Rugby and noticed that a few MLAT targets appeared on the traffic page, and audio warnings were given, but no target was displayed on EVFR.

How did you determine that no MLAT targets appeared in EVFR,

Firstly, what were you expecting to see, that identifies a traffic target specifically as an MLAT target - as opposed to any other type ?

Secondly, what connection method do you use in EVFR PilotAware, GDL90 or Flarm ?

Thx
Lee

Smaragd

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 09:35:25 pm »
Hi smaragd
Let us step back to the original post so we can understand the thought process.....
was disappointed that I hadn't detected any MLAT targets. Made a longer flight today from Bath to Rugby and noticed that a few MLAT targets appeared on the traffic page, and audio warnings were given, but no target was displayed on EVFR.

How did you determine that no MLAT targets appeared in EVFR,

Firstly, what were you expecting to see, that identifies a traffic target specifically as an MLAT target - as opposed to any other type ?

Secondly, what connection method do you use in EVFR PilotAware, GDL90 or Flarm ?

Thx
Lee
To answer the second first, I have set it up as per the instructions at https://pilotaware.com/easyvfr/, with (Step 4) FLARM on and Flarm as GPS off; I get a FLARM caption top left on the display. For the first, I was expecting to see ambiguity circles but have seen none on any of my recent flights. As an example, I had MLAT traffic at around 9 o'clock, 8km (I seem to remember) which was listed on the traffic page but which was not visible on the EVFR display. There were several other audio warnings of near traffic (for which I didn't have time to check the traffic page) but nothing on the display.

I'll check my settings on Saturday - though I did so prior to my last flight - and even if they are correct, perhaps I'll delete and re-enter them. Don't put too much thought into it at the moment, Lee, if I'm the only one with the problem, I'll make sure it's not finger trouble on my part first.

Admin

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 10:45:52 pm »
Ok that answers it
To show mlat with ambiguity on evfr you need to choose gdl90

You can show mlat without ambiguity selecting udp/2000 flarm or Pilotaware
Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 06:34:11 am »
I had MLAT traffic at around 9 o'clock, 8km (I seem to remember) which was listed on the traffic page but which was not visible on the EVFR display. There were several other audio warnings of near traffic (for which I didn't have time to check the traffic page) but nothing on the display.

I'm a little confused here.
MLAT targets will appear the same as PilotAware, FLARM, or ADSB targets. They will be shown regardless of the protocol chosen. Smaragd has stated that they do not appear at all, rather than they are missing the ambiguity circles?
Is Smaragd confusing ambiguity circles with the three Mode C/S threat rings around his own aircraft? Which of course he won't see for an MLAT target.

Cheers
Ian

Admin

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 07:28:05 am »
Hi Ian et al

Initially MLAT was only sent over GDL90, this was as relaxed to include PilotAware on SD (flarm over udp)
I think flarm over tcp, may not have been included in sending mlat

Thx
Lee

Smaragd

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 08:18:44 am »
Re the last three emails from Ian and Admin - where is any of that information contained in the PAW documentation? No wonder I am in the dark! The EVFR documentation at  https://pilotaware.com/easyvfr/ makes no mention of GDL90, only of FLARM. Also I don't understand Ian's reference to three Mode C/S rings about own aircraft - I haven't seen those either.