Author Topic: POWER (As Clarkson would say)  (Read 7218 times)

JCurtis

Re: POWER (As Clarkson would say)
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 09:43:49 am »
a while back I purchased various samples of cables advertised as 18AWG
..... and after a teardown, they most definitely were not !

Thx
Lee

Not really surprised there … some of the Chinese stuff is of dubious origin..

Only some!
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

EricC

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 11:51:13 am »
Awg-Swg table attached.

JCurtis

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 12:08:28 pm »
That table is AWG to external diameter, not necessarily the internal wire cross sectional area.  It's best to go with the conductor cross section area for current calculations.

20 AWG is ~0.5mm2
18 AWG is ~0.8mm2

In terms of cables, defiantly don't judge them by their cover!  I've seen supposedly beefy cables visually be tiny internally, the jacket is much cheaper than the metal inside!

Also, I'll also throw this in, don't use Copper Clad Aluminium (CCA) cable either.  It's a horrible conductor at DC and is a pain when it ages.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Alanr

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 02:00:34 pm »
What a minefield! :(

grahambaker

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 05:38:53 am »
That table is AWG to external diameter.
I disagree. Converting the diameters to cross sectional areas more or less equals the examples you’ve given.

Why would a person making wire jewellery (which is the original target audience of the table) be interested in the diameter of any plastic sleeve?

PaulSS

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 06:11:22 am »
This should keep everyone happy  :)

exfirepro

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 08:45:51 am »
This should keep everyone happy  :)

Bit of a rash statement that Paul,

It certainly might keep the Donut Tramp happy. At least you didn’t Tweet it  :-\

(only joking of course)  8)

Best Regards

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 09:49:34 am »
I'm going to have to resort to Google and decipher your code, Peter  :)

Maybe because I've never tweeted (and don't have an account) I'm not 'down with the kids' and know what you're saying  :-[

I just wanted to bring joy to those who were arguing about diameters versus cross sections  ;D

exfirepro

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 12:01:41 pm »
Sorry Paul,

I’m also a bit long in the tooth certainly for some of the more obscure social media apps. I was having a good natured and very mild dig at AWG pleasing our friends (and in my case relations) across the pond, though not necessarily some of our ‘British’ supporters (Hence my reference to the infamous ‘Let’s Make America Great Again’ ‘Tweeter’).

Sincere apologies to our more sensible American friends. No offence was intended. FWIW, I haven’t used ‘SWG’ in many years, but appreciate why Eric posted (with the most noble of intentions).

Best Regards

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 01:07:42 pm »
Aahhh, now I understand  :)

Don't worry about upsetting the Colonials. I am also afflicted with relatives from across The Pond and find most of the time they don't understand my sarcasm and insults, so I just banter away, free of concern for their sensibilities  ;)

Even my youngest daughter has a touch of Yank about her, as she was born there and has a US passport to add to her UK and Australian ones. That can get expensive at renewal time  :-\