Author Topic: Version 20190707 Uplink range  (Read 2730 times)

Winged_Jaguar

Version 20190707 Uplink range
« on: July 12, 2019, 05:06:22 pm »
Hi Lee,

Quick question about this release.
The visibility of the aircraft being rebroadcast over the uplink seems to be limited to around a range <16kms - previously I thought this was much further out. This being the case (snapshot attached) I might suggest that this is a rather small circle (unless the 'circle' is an elongated ovoid favouring the forward direction of travel). At 15kms two aircraft heading towards each other at 125kts will not appear on the screen for long giving little warning - they will suddenly appear and be gone. A typical range I might be using on SkyDemon en route is about 20-30nm which is about the range I would like to know about. If the aircraft are  already identified their position could be broadcast. I appreciate there is a desire to limit the RF chatter but I'd much rather get an overview of what was ahead (and left and right) - such as a swarm of gliders so that I was forewarned, especially if as happens one goes in and out of the range of a base station and they all disappear! If they have been seen at any point on the screen then one is forewarned. If aircraft are already close-by I want to be looking out of the cockpit, not down at the screen.

The MLAT and uplink are a brilliant addition to PAW. I'm sure Keith would agree - more ground stations are still needed - excellent work so far - more volunteers needed! Their coverage radius is pretty good with the transmit power available. Reception and getting a reliable two-way link in a metal plane can be much more of a challenge when positioning the aerials. This is often at the front to enable PAW to give a good forward view (but where much of the local ground around can be obscured). In terms of OGN-R any ground station in range in any direction would be just as valuable. Is any thought being given to an approved omni-directional aerial that could be affixed (installed) to say the underside of a plane or other solutions? This would greatly increase the effectiveness of the ground network especially in areas of fewer ground stations. This would reduce the number of drop-outs and increase effective coverage which I suggest will be essential to keep ahead of the game.   

Keep up the great work
KR
Chris

Paul_Sengupta

Re: Version 20190707 Uplink range
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 01:11:20 am »
Have a look at this thread for external antennae.

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1478.0.html

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 06:38:37 am »
Hi Chris,

After a fair bit of ‘tinkering’ and various antenna fits in various positions over the years, I have just changed over to a pair of PAW ‘Rohan’ external antennas (antennae) fitted under the pod of my flexwing with a laminated aluminium foil ground plane inside the pod. Initial results are showing a significant improvement in range over previous options. A bit dearer, but IMO well worth the extra expenditure!

(Fortunately, when I fitted my transponder, I put its antenna right at the back of the ‘skirt’ so it’s far enough away not to interfere.)

Best Regards

Peter

russp

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 01:52:46 pm »
Very happy with my external aerials in my metal skinned frame .. https://spark.adobe.com/page/uOYLxiidmmgUz/

Admin

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 02:58:25 pm »
Very happy with my external aerials in my metal skinned frame .. https://spark.adobe.com/page/uOYLxiidmmgUz/
Very nice job  :)

Winged_Jaguar

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 06:36:03 pm »
Many thanks. Great installation.

KR
Chris